Wednesday, August 29, 2007

It occurs to me...

that we haven't been out walking together for a while. It's not that I haven't been walking. It's that the summer hasn't presented me with the most ideal situations for photography...and the neighbourhood has been stealing my excitement for it, as well. I find myself questioning our decision to stay sometimes. It's all been rather exhausting...and with the weird weather patterns all summer and not getting away at all, well...you know, I get depressed. Run down. Overwhelmed and tired of my own preoccupation with the happenings around here. I don't wear angry well. It's not in my nature. Last week, though, I did make a conscious decision to look for those little things that make me swoon. I have had the camera out with me, even on errands, but this is a walk...at Harewood Mines Road. Blackberries are getting ripe. Mmmm mmmm.
The Arbutus are getting some new growth, their freshly bare trunks are aglow.

I am not the only one on this walk who loves the Arbutus. Here is a little camera hog basking on the leaf of one of my favorite trees. I pass this tree every time I walk here and lay my hands on it, tell it hello. I am happy it has company when I am not there.


I think he is smiling for me.



There used to be so many more moments that fell like warm rain, when we could turn up our faces to the sky. It's been a long year for Michael and I.
Dealing with town can really tear you up...or, more aptly said, this town can really tear you down. See what I mean about preoocupation? I really didn't mean to go "there" in this post.



We are getting out of town for a couple of weeks, into the wilds, into the mountains...taking a much needed road trip, meeting old friends who have nothing to do with this town, picking blue huckleberries, cooking by campfire, sleeping with stars, waking with the morning light, breathing deep the clean air, washing away the lingering soot of this coal miners' town.



Better late than never, right?













7 comments:

Olly said...

September is the perfect time to get away. Our weather seems to smarten up then - except for chilly mornings. Most geriatric driven motor homes are off the road & kids are back to school. Have a great time!

Michael Colvin said...

Enjoy your trip. I think you both need a break!

raine said...

Have an awesome trip. I love a roadtrip. Take lots of pictures to share!!!

raine said...

Oh - and the "Fresh" is yours!! I'll put it on flikr - use it in good health.

Heidi the Hick said...

It is very important to get away sometimes. I never did when I was a kid because of the farm. We'd go camping with the cousins but my dad and uncle had to leave to do chores twice a day!

I wish your strength and hope could turn your town around. I really do.

I didn't get a chance to comment about the station fire. I understand your frustration! In January the grandstand burnt down. It was such a huge part of my husband's childhood, and for me, with so many annual events held there, it was a big loss. This isn't a town with a big crime problem, but it was a bunch of kids goofing off. It's extremely angering. The grandstand was 60 years old, solid wood, beautiful, and a big part of the town's social life. It's being rebuilt but you know...it can't be exactly the same. I wish everybody had a sense for history and appreciated it.

Thanks for the walk, and I know your trip away will be worth it!

Anonymous said...

Oh Yeah! I was just thinking this morning that we hadn't been walking in awhile! Got to go back and look!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so glad you are getting away. Something had your joy for awhile and you need to get it back. Hope your trip is the best.