Monday, January 15, 2007

snow days

Life imitating art again...once I get on a theme, it is difficult to distract me. Okay, here is painting by Bev Doolittle. And here is a photo by me.....and I am done for now.


We have had lots of dog walkies lately...everyone loves the snow. It brings out the wild in everyone, especially Emma's friend, Yuko.

It even makes the boat in the neighbour's yard pretty. Living on an island, you'd be suprised just how many boats, once put in someone's yard, never touch water again. Well, rain, obviously. In this case, snow...but you get my point. Right? And my wisteria looks almost as good dressed in snow as it does dressed in purple blooms.




Okay, back to the dog walks...here we are at Harewood Mines. We were the first ones out there after the big dump. Our prints were the only ones. It was pretty special.



It was also pretty cold. We were bundled. It's still cold. Really cold. It keeps the snow nice but for us wimps(yes, I am a wimp, I know it!), it's just about enough, really.






See? No tracks...that is pretty nice.






Notice any dogs? Nope? They have all gone beserk by this point and are off crashing through the snow, noses down like snowplows, pushing up great piles over their heads. They are crazed by the white, snuffling and snorting until they come up sneezing snow and then right back to it. Except poor Emma, linked to me with a leash because she won't come back to me when called...poor little frustrated creature. Me, that is. I hate that leash just about as much as she must. I have no clear idea how to get past this impasse. She comes when we call her indoors, but outside her hunting instincts take over and it's like I am no longer even there. Yesterday's news.



My favourite arbutus grove, the red wood looks so beautiful against the white background. Every walk is a new discovery of the same things. I will have to take you to Morrell Bird Sanctuary tomorrow...since I don't really have any stories to tell right now, unless you really want to hear about painting the basement...which does look ten thousand times better, thanks for asking!





Our footprints going out cross over our footprints going in....


and time for me to head along now, too. The sun has reached my side of the street and melted the ice off the car and I have some errands to run this morning.












8 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

Oh you are all so lucky to go walking in the snow! I love doing that. The pictures are great!

Heidi the Hick said...

Yuko is a little fox! (Did I see a horse in that painting???)

I know about the leash thing. The pug's been on probation since he took off across the horse pasture (again) over Christmas. He used to come to me reliably so I'm hoping it's just a rebellious teenager phase. I wish I had advice for you!!

We've got this bizarre granular freezing rainsnow stuff today and tonight. Oh well. It's winter.

Thanks for sharing the dog walk!!

Anonymous said...

For a different take on walking the dogs...a much warmer take, pop over to Fi's version at www.kiwifruit-the-blog.co.nz
Casper and I are ready for some heat and humidity!

ldbug said...

So beautiful!! I miss the snow, I really, really do!

Biddie said...

The photos are gorgeous, but I really don't miss the snow. We have the freezing rain thing happening here, but still not much snow.
I hate using the leash on Ruby, too. She still tries to dart out the door evey now and again...

Crafty Missus said...

i thought it was a fox in the painting......
and cats on leashes might be a good idea around here.

dilling said...

it is a fox in bev doolittle's painting, yuko in my photo...also, yes, there are horses in there, too. bevdoolittle's paintings usually have hidden things in there... more snow last night here, more in the forecast...be careful out there in that freezing rain...it looks treacherous on the news.

CindyDianne said...

really beautiful photos Dilling.

btw, it is snowing in Fort Worth today!