Monday, January 29, 2007

breakaway....

John, October 22, 1942-January 22, 2007
Just before Christmas, Michael's father began losing weight, having trouble eating, sleeping. He went to the doctor and they found "something" on his pancreas. "Something." And then they set a date to take a biopsy and sent him home. On the 17th of January, he went back for his biopsy and he went home again. On the 21st of January, he was admitted to hospital with flu-like symptoms, which he and his wife believed was, in fact, flu, as she was very ill with it herself. They thought it was a temporary set back and she left him there for the night, resting comfortably, in good spirits. In the morning, the hospital could not wake him and he passed very gently from us around 10 am, very gently, with his wife beside him. At 2:30 that afternoon, January 22, his biopsy results came in...pancreatic cancer.

After the first phone call in December, I don't believe this was an unexpected thing, by any means. It was so startlingly quick, though. We had hardly even blinked our eyes. Pancreatic cancer is stealthy. There is no pain involved in the beginning. By the time symptoms present, it is already too late. Five weeks. Five weeks.

Perhaps that is grace. He could have suffered so much more than he did. He just went to sleep, still optimistic of going home the next morning.
I will tell you a little of what I know about John... he was raised by a strong woman on a dairy farm in the BC Interior, near Spences Bridge. He loved cars, driving them, restoring them, racing them. He served in the Canadian Air Force overseas, where he was goalie for the Canadian Air Force Hockey Team(he is the little guy in the goalie gear in the centre of the picture above)... quite possibly the smallest goalie to ever grace the ice, playing a game that he loved. He helped to raise two sons, one of whom I love and adore and am forever thankful for. He loved breakfast at Ricky's.
He was well travelled, both during his career and after retirement. Because his dog loved to ride in the car, every day, whether he had an errand to run or not, he would put Taffy in the car and drive somewhere just to make her happy. He was an engaging guy with eyes that crinkled into half-moons when he smiled and they twinkled, he laughed lots in our times together, he wore his hair like a 50's matinee idol, was a sharp dresser who rolled his sleeves up high on his arms...he had a quick, sharp wit but used those powers for good and not evil...he will be missed.
We have been in the arms of John's family, Michael's family, all week. It was not a maudlin, morose time, but full of laughter and stories. Sometimes sad, yes, but there is a certain strength in that kind of sadness.
However, John was an intrinsically cheerful man, at least the John I knew, and I think that came across well this past week.
Thanks to all of you who wrote, were worried about my absense. I appreciate your concern. I missed you all so much. I am well, we are well. I will be catching up with you all this week. Talk to you soon.

8 comments:

katy said...

sorry to hear your sad news, he sounded a wonderful man. my thoughts are with yu and your family x

Heidi the Hick said...

I am so sorry. I don't have any words.

I would hug you if I could, if it would help any.

Biddie said...

So sorry. I have know many great men named John. Something about that name, I think.
Know that you are in our thoughts. Big hugs to you, Micheal, and Emma.

Crafty Missus said...

i am sure that john is touched and proud that you have such a fine opinion of him and that his son makes his life with some as special as you.
i missed you.

Michael Colvin said...

My comments just sound clumsy when I type them so I will just say that I am thinking of you and Michael. Take care.

ldbug said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

It takes a special man indeed to have left an impact on a daughter-in-law who could write such a heartfelt tribute to him. That's the legacy that good men with integrity leave behind.
My thoughts are with you all as you come to grips with your loss.

CindyDianne said...

Ah Dill...

My condolences. And, to my thinking, it was a gift. He didn't suffer. And with cancer, that is a gift.

I am so sorry. Sending you and Michael my thoughts and prayers.