Saturday, January 13, 2007

Buddha in Snow

It's cold here, cold enough for the snow to stay...still fluffy, still white. That's not a normal west coast snow kind of thing. It usually gets slushy and wet, crusty on the top, with mud mixed in. I guess I should be thankful for the cold because at least the snow remains beautiful. I should remain at peace with the weather...
...and not wonder why a tap on the front of my house that was turned off has a giant icicle hanging off of it. I shouldn't worry where that water came from, right? It's nothing...as long as everything is frozen, anyway.

I shouldn't worry that even the crows can't keep ahead of the snow...we have snow-spotted crows staring in the window at us. They know there is heat in here. They are making me nervous. I've seen "the Birds."


And I shouldn't worry that the Gabriola Ferry is running the day after they nearly plunged a man to his death by pulling away from the dock while he was being told to load his vehicle on. They figured it all out, right? Why he had to jump out of his truck at the very last minute while it tipped off the ramp into the bay? Nah, I don't have to worry about that one. I am never leaving this island again. Sheesh.



And I don't need to worry that the ice is getting so bad that RCMP are directing motorists not to go up or down the hill downtown...because I am not driving anywhere right now. No way. Not down that hill, anyway.




But, still...see what I do have to worry about? It's f'ing freezing out there and still...you have got to be kidding me. There's an f'ing hooker across the street. Nobody was out cruising in this weather, she's not one of the regulars, and she does not look the part. She was there for hours, literally. After a good, long while, I actually started to feel sorry for her. It was damn cold.




But then? Someone showed up to make a drug deal with her, right here on my street...where my friends live, and my neighbours' live with their children and I was not so inclined to worry about her anymore...and have been trying to think of a new plan to put into action to discourage johns from picking up hookers here...I have a few ideas in mind. Anyone else?






4 comments:

Crafty Missus said...

all of our snow had melted last night, woke up this morning to bare ground, but right now it is storming out. it makes me sad that if my and your weather is this off kilter than what is happening on the melting ice caps. some day our beloved islands will be under water....
so i would like to hear about your ideas to deal with the johns.... i suppose cracking knee caps is out of the option.
the photo of the crows is great, reminds me of some work by printmaker, lori doody, go look: http://stmichaelsprintshop.com/forsale/album.asp?cat=Doody,%20Lori&start=0
i think you would enjoy her work. she also does images shoes and walking her dogs.

Anonymous said...

Yikes...we've got it cold on our side of the Strait, but not enough to stay inside. Casper, T and I had two great beach walks today and found lots of glass!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

It's getting cold and snowy here. I love the Budda pic.

Heidi the Hick said...

We got your snow today!!!