Wednesday, January 17, 2007

meanderings

It's hard to believe the snow is still here. It is beginning to melt away, or blow away during the days now, but the nights are cold and the ice remains. The predicted snow for yesterday did not arrive and I have not checked the weather site to see if it is still in the forecast. Off to Morrell Bird Sactuary for another dog walk and photograph tour. Despite the cold, I can't seem to take enough pictures and I am out walking the dog(s) two, sometimes three times a day, trying to snap every last photo I can while the opportunities are there. I am almost sick of editing them, to tell you truth. Today, I am opting to paint the ceiling in the basement instead of photography...after I post, of course.
It's not that I even have anything to really write about lately. I just wander around the walking spots in a daze...amazed at every little sparkle of light on snow, every play of colour in ice. I wish I could capture it all.

But, quite often what I photograph is not how I saw the moment. The above photo is one example. I took about 15 pictures of these little diamonds of icicles dangling from the wispy threads of this tiny bush, gently riding the current of the stream back and forth. It was breathtaking but I just couldn't capture it in the lens. I went back yesterday for some more photos of this spot but haven't worked on them yet. We'll have to wait and see how they turned out.


This, also, seemed so much more magical when I wasn't looking through the camera. The tiniest of ice crystals laid out like a carpet along our path. The light bouncing off in greens and blues and yellows around us as we walked up the hill. Magic.



Morrell Lake is frozen over. Yuko walks on water. Don't worry, we checked the thickness before we let her on the ice and never let her go further than arm's length. We're not nuts here, ya know!




Emma tries to follow, once again frustrated and hampered by that damn leash.





I like the ice crystals rising up out of the ground...the water from the oversaturated dirts freezing and having to go somewhere, rises straight up. I see tiny cities of ice everywhere, fall in love with every step I take. I always wonder how many people just walk on through without taking a single moment to get lost.





8 comments:

ldbug said...

Very beautiful pics, I feel like I got to go on a walk with you guys!

Michael Colvin said...

I know what you mean about the difficulty of capturing what the eye see's. There is such a knack to it. I LOVE the one with the mossy tree and I am so jealous that you get to walk in the snow and see such sights! Thanks for sharing!

CindyDianne said...

I love the ice cities! what a wonderful sight!

Biddie said...

Your photos are breathtaking. I love seeing through your camera lens. It amazes me each and every time...

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I love your pics. Always have.

Anonymous said...

How can we be lost when we've got you to show us the way?

SkippyMom said...

That last pic took my breath away..thanks for explaining how it occurred [all the pics were great...the moss one? NEAT!]

No snow, ice or even rain here yet...I do like what you said at the end about being lost.

Very poignant.

Hugs

Anonymous said...

Once again you took my breath away. Thanks for sharing! Love Scoob