Tuesday, January 02, 2007

being Home

I used to hate it here. Here being my hometown, Olympia. It was nothing but angst and drama...couldn't wait to leave, never wanted to come back. I had amazing friends here, though. Still do. I would not have made it without my friends...thank you, one. Thank you, all. It's amazing how crazy your own family can make you feel without meaning to...I realize now that they never meant it. That's part of being a grown up, I guess. They all grew up, too, more or less. It's all so strange now...but good, too. Most of the time. And now, at last, we ALL can walk on eggshells for the two times a year when we get together. Some of us are nearly whole again...my dad has been sober since I was in my mid-twenties. He has reached a point of comfort in his sobriety that I spent years thinking he'd never reach. I have reached a point in my sobriety that feels like I am no longer "recovering." We never talk about it but do recognize this thing that binds us closest together. Our addictions.
That and Willie Nelson.
When my father looks at me now, I can watch his face light up. It feels just as good at age 38 as it should have at 8. And I can forgive him everything. I understand now.

My relationship with my family has always been difficult... so far behind my brother and sister that I was more like an only child. Also, my parents lost a son to childhood leukemia long before I came into the picture...and they broke. They shattered. It's not unusual...I would break, too. I can see that as an adult. They held me at arm's length, something that could possibly drag them under. As a kid, all I knew was that we were ALL broken, all uneven and unwell, felt that I was a burden and wished I lived with Gramma. Where I felt safe and loved and warm. Thank god for Gramma, too. I love and miss you...immensely. Wish you were here to meet Michael. You would love him so.You wouldn't have to worry anymore. I'm fine.
But growth comes...mind and spirit and body. And I am loved and treasured and feel safe in the arms of most of my family now. Some of us are still broken and will never mend. I can see that now, though, and recognize it, hold it and forgive it. Sometimes it frustrates me but I didn't come through all I did to dwell on what I cannot change. So, the holidays are a time of pain, always. Now, they are also a time of Joy. Of Love and Forgiveness. Of Goodwill. Of Tragedy and of Triumph. And that is what our time here is all about. I do love my family. I know they love me, too, in whatever capacity they can. It is true love...


At the end of the difficult days, there are my friends to savour...and to embrace, to treasure and covet and delight in. Friends for so long that I barely remember my life before them. I can feel my own face light up in their presence. Hell, I can feel it light up just now thinking about them...and their families that are my family and I miss them all over again right now. I love you all. Come visit soon. You all make me laugh loud and long. And Michael, too. WE love you.


Emma enjoyed herself immensely, though she was so distracted by the cats that she forgot to eat...for two days. She loved my friends and family, too... though I am so very sorry, S&L, that she peed twice in your house. She did so well the rest of the trip. You must be very special.

And on the final days of our visit, Emma finally was getting used to sharing her space with the Kittens...Mr. Butterscotch and Mr. Buttertubs, that she even slept on the same couch as Buttertubs. She probably even misses her little antagonist now.
More fun tomorrow....less introspection!






9 comments:

Biddie said...

It's funny how Christmas can be a time of pain, and a time of great joy.
I have come to understand things about my family, too. I now see that my Dad did things that may have been hurtful, but at the time he was doing what he thought was best.
My brother tells me that our mother has been sober for months now. I am thankful, but not as forgiving as you.
You have such a big heart, and you deserve to be treasured.
I framed your photo and I have shown to everyone that has stopped by my place. It is so beautiful. Just like you.

dilling said...

oh, you know, my mom and I are still on tenuous ground. This year is good... after not speaking for a year. It's just that I no longer think of these things as my fault...or even her fault...it's just FAULTY. I love her. She loves me. It's not what it should be...but may never be. It is what it is. And that is all there is to say about it. She can't do more and I can't take more. It's a condition....
love is love, however, and we can't define such things.

Biddie said...

I wish that my mom and I could come to such an understanding. I don't think that we will ever even speak again. I do love her, tho. No matter, what. Strange.

Anonymous said...

Your words move me...they touch a chord in my heart.

Crafty Missus said...

beautiful post.
i can appreciate being the youngest and far behind my siblings... the only childness of it... luckily my parents did not suffer a great trauma and i was the centre of life and love.... (and i'm still a nutter - controls mean nothing, my dear).
olympia looks lovely - hey! did you ever see any nirvana? -
emma has lived so well since coming to you, of course i think you are inspiring from this distance, can't imagine how bright you'd shine up close!

CindyDianne said...

A little introspection is good for you and the rest of us too! Nice to have it reinforced that we are, in fact, all in the same soup in one way, or another.

And you write beautifully.

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh my dear, nothing like a little 10am teary eyedness!

You've done some journeying. Beautiful.

Michael Colvin said...

[so far behind my brother and sister that I was more like an only child.]

This struck such a resonance with me. I always felt that my parents had already had their family and when I came along they were too tired to be bothered with it all.

It's funny how as adults we can look back and see both sides but then sometimes those childhood emotions just overwhelm us again.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

katy said...

love is such a great emotion and can be shown and shared in so many ways, that was a lovely post thank you for showing us some of you x