Friday, January 12, 2007

maxfield

Maxfield Parrish is one of my favourite artists. He captured moments in time that really, truly are moments. That exact moment of sunrise or sunset that bathes everything in beauty...where there is nothing but grace in the world around us. This is Maxfield. Have you been graced by these moments? I have found these precious minutes throughout my life. In Hawaii, around 5:30am to 6am, there is a moment, one moment, where everything is bathed in red light. It is glorious...and astounding. In Colorado, it happens a lot. I think it has something to do with how high in the atmosphere I was there, and the particular colour of blue in the sky there. Texas had it in the stormy seasons when the clouds hit the hot sun at daybreak. Here, those moments are not as reliable. Two nights ago, Maxfield Parrish painted our skies.

This is me.

Once again, this is Maxfield.


And this is Maxfield.


And this, this is Maxfield, as well. Doesn't it make you take a deep breath and just feel...I don't know.......good? And it's a painting. It's something done with strokes of paint, with a brush, on canvas...but it feels almost as good as the real thing. This is Maxfield.


And this? This is me, with a little help from the powers that be. This is one of those moments when my breath catches, my heart aches, but it is a good ache, and I am in love with the world around me.


Moments that make me want to cry, but they would be tears of joy. Tears that convey all the things that I do not have words for...thank you. Thank you. I love the gifts given.

Once again, Maxfield.






Myself.




















6 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

Wow. What an amazing artist. I have not seen his work before. He captures the light and atmosphere so well. And your pictures truly stand up against his work. You have a lot of creative talent Dilling.

katy said...

they are fantastic i would love them hung in my house and that includes yours as well

Crafty Missus said...

i love the colours. almost over the top, but i've seen skies like that in real life. you come visit me now and i'll show you the sun come up over the south side hills and then we can go watch it rise out of the ocean, okay?
i've also decides that you should write a book.

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh the sweet blissful agony!!!!!

I had no idea that there wasn't any Maxfield Parrish in my life. thank you for introducing me!

I agree with Cara. Book please. Lulu.com Please!

Heidi the Hick said...

And yes, I've been rendered speechless and immobile by those moments.

I thinki it's nice that Maxfield painted so many pictures of my future place of residence!

Anonymous said...

There's just the finest line between Maxwell's paintings and your photographs!