Monday, January 08, 2007

not counting the ferry ride

Emma wants us to change the radio station....or turn off the window defrost, I'm not sure which. But starting out on this post, I want you to know when I say "not counting the ferry ride" means you add about two and a half to three hours to all travel times I am talking about...half hour loading(or waiting to load), two hours crossing, half hour(sometimes) unloading....okay?
Our trip down to Olympia took 10 hours. 10 hours, not counting the ferry ride. I-5 traffic at the beginning of a holiday weekend. It's enough to make me cry...really. Michael and I made a pact that next year we stay home. In our house. In our home. We'll get a tree, we'll make a turkey, we'll have spare beds ready. Enough is enough. We have done our fair share. We spent bunches of money just getting on and off the island, gas, time off, etc. I got sick...again. It happens every time I go down because there is so much going on that it is impossible to eat right, sleep right, be good to yourself, nourish your body correctly with family meal after family meal involving something with noodles and cream of mushroom soup....events to get to, friends to catch up with, microbreweries to sample..... Coming home, we made the trip in about 5 hours, not counting the ferry ride...here is where we always hold our breath and grit our teeth...coming into Seattle....but we just flew right through. Sweet.

North of Seattle, near the US/Canadian border is this little gem. We pass it every trip...this time, since we were making such good time, we stopped to take a gander and ponder the possibility of this life for us...


I know we don't have what it takes...I know it. But every time I see a place like this, I'd like to believe I have it, even just for one moment. Don't get me wrong, we'd live in the country just fine. I just have genuine doubts about Michael's ability or mine to get up every morning and tend something like this. But it sure is pretty.
However, I think, we would like to someday live in the country and still participate in activities just like this one....
...it's so good to be home, again. Just today, I can feel the cold and flu virus giving up it's hold on me. Michael and I went for a walk yesterday that I thought might just do me in, but today's hike felt invigorating, if not a bit soggy and so I am happy to be on the road to wellness and being able to participate in my New Year's resolutions of eating well and exercising regularly again. We moved all obstacles from my elliptical machine and I think tomorrow I can make it through the day without cold medicine or a nap. So, better late than never, Happy New Year.





4 comments:

Biddie said...

Going home for the holidays can be wonderful, and so worth it, but I think that staying in YOUR home can be even better. I think that you're on the right track with the turkey tree, and extra bed idea. Let them come to you!
I love the photo of Emma in the van! Great photos, as always.

ldbug said...

Oh, I got a cold too from the traveling. At least I didn't have to drive, but it's 6 1/2 hours from NY to Salt lake, then 1hr to Helena. Now include that you have to be at the airport here 4 hours ahead of time, and the hour cab ride fiasco, and I'm always pretty tired when I get home. Oh, forgot to include all the delays, layovers, and such.

My grandma and some cousins and an aunt live on Orcas island in the sound. They were snowed in over the holidays so they had a pretty good excuse to not leave the island to see family!

Heidi the Hick said...

1) I love it that Emma fits on the dashboard. so tiny!

2) I really really love that farm! I could get up and tend critters and things. I'd still find time to engage in lounging activities too, darn right! (It's amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it!)

3) glad you're feeling better. Christmas holidays are wonderful but you always need recovery time!

CindyDianne said...

Oh, but I love the ferry boats! I drove onto one for the first time a couple years ago in a rent car I'd picked up at the SEATAC airport, it is a bit daunting the first time. But, I truly enjoy visiting your neck o' the woods and can't wait to go back again soon.