Wednesday, March 19, 2008

deja vu

Walking Eem-er up to Nob Hill Park the other morning, I noticed the ambulance at one(of two located side by side) of our neighbourhood pain in the ass crack houses. Nothing new there, really. It's hardly unheard of. There's been a slew of scary characters coming and going from there lately...and car break-ins around the hood, drugs in the park, hookers and johns abound... not that any of that is new either. The building manager has been around a lot, too, even when all the activity is going on, so I don't know what to make of that. But...the cops are there, too. A few of them. For a while. For quite a while. That's always fun.
And it's hard to sell(or buy) your crack or meth or whatever with cop cars parked in front of both crack houses, so everyone jumped ship to head off downtown...

Yesterday, walking Eem-er to Nob Hill Park, I saw that it appears there has been an eviction...or the manager/landlord is taking rent money from someone living in the yard now. People are just walking in there and helping themselves to stuff, like it's the tail end of a garage sale when folks just give it all away...only it rained all night now...ick.

I wish I could feel a little happy about it. That I was feeling confident that things will be different but this is one of those places that rents to bad news time and time again. Various rooms or apartments in the roominghouse have been crack houses again and again and again...I don't know why they bother kicking anyone out because the next person they rent to has probably been living there/crashing there/peddling there...and the same faces will still be coming and going from it. They may even just move that pile back in from the yard....ya know? I mean, it's probably their stuff....some of it.



7 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

One word: flamethrower.

dilling said...

that word just keeps sounding better and better, Tod!

raine said...

I've been in that place a few times..not buying crack if you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

ACK! I ONLY HAD TO REFRESH 4 TIMES TO BE ALLOWED TO COMMENT!!!
look at that place. i see potential. wish it were mine.

Olly said...

There are some sort of "eyesore" by-laws" regarding yards here in the city. The city gives the owner so much time to clean it up or they come and do it and charge them.

Yeah Cara, the downtown is full of houses with great potential, unfortunately it is also where all the services for addicts/homeless are.

Olly said...

Adding to my last comment, there was an article in the paper this last week about a new foodbank in the Brechen area. It seems that there are quite a few using it, too. The media seemed amazed and even stated that maybe there should be services throughout the city instead of just concentrating on an area downtown. DUH!

dilling said...

The yard is clean today...we'll just see who the next renters will be...
yeah, who knew you'd need a food bank in Brechin? But if I had to pay those mortgage prices, I'd be at the food bank, too...heheheh...
I know/am acquainted with a girl who lives in this roominghouse who is not a crackhead...I don't know how she does it without going zonkers.