Monday, July 09, 2007

Asleep at the wheel

Sorry, folks, I have been asleep at the wheel. This is what we did TWO weekends ago... Bright and early, we loaded onto one of the first ferries in our big orange van...sweet old thing. It's the first time I've been in her this season. Meep meep.
And found ourselves on Vancouver highways. Always something to look forward to, isn't it?
We were travelling with best friends......

and we were on our way to meet dear friends.....



and a whole plethora of new friends. We had a poker playing amount of rescued dogs, friends and family and food and beverages and celebrations of births and friendships and relationships.....


And we had BOCCE! This, by the way, is the trophy winning bocce stance of the evening. Congratulations!



It was a great time...Michael was a great bocce ref...er, coach...er, measurer...er, decider of the closest bocce ball...whatever he was, he was dedicated. And cute. Gosh, he's cute.



For all the "strangers" and the "controlled chaos" around me, I felt happy and good. It felt a bit like I imagine home should feel(but doesn't always for me). Simple moments of magic, like five rescue dogs in a moment of peaceful repose...like two empty red chairs catching the evening light and all the possibilities of our lives.....thank you, everyone. Good times. Lots of easy laughter and bright moments.




Oh, and there were the side trips...no wasted ferry fares in this part of the world.
The mecca...the promised land....my guiltiest pleasure....Ikea.... but just the fewest of purchases...budget, budget, budget. July is the month of three mortgage payments, dammit. One big buy, though we have been saving up for this one.




AND? Trout Lake Farmer's Market!!!! Oh yeah. When we lived in Vancouver, it was no big deal to come every weekend or two. Now? Such sweet luxury....organic basil, cheese, tomatoes...fresh soda bread, still warm....







Back on the ferry, come home, wake up...make pesto....










sweet, sweet pesto...I freeze it in ice cube trays, a single serving per cube. Just in case I have inspired you to make some food of the gods.....
well, that should just about be it for now.

































7 comments:

Principle of Vice said...

Cool pics. Nice trip. Why so much blank space at the bottom?
You are in my Google Reader.

dilling said...

me and blogger just aren't getting along right now...
what is a google reader?!? dare I even ask?

Principle of Vice said...

Google Reader tells me when you post to your blog, but it does not tell me when new comments are published.

dilling said...

so...you are stalking me, in a sense?!? heh heh heh

Michael Colvin said...

So is Bocce like Petanque. We played that with friends in Brighton once, it was fun!

dilling said...

from what I just read about Petanque, it sounds dead on...though no metal balls.

Anonymous said...

Wow...you DID get the island of your dreams!