Saturday, July 21, 2007

At Last....

Three years I have been itching to do this home improvement project. A couple weekends ago, we sold off the furniture in one of our spare bedrooms at the garage sale. Last week, I moved our master bedroom into the spare bedroom revealing the last carpeting in the house...ick. At last, I get to tackle the Master Bedroom! Ugh. Look at that. So old and stained, the stains don't come out even with a cleaning anymore. And stinky. Did I mention stinky?
So, up came the carpet and guess what? Linoleum beneath the carpet...in a bedroom?!? My heart died a little. I thought, like the disappointment in the kitchen, that the lino might have been glued directly to the wood floor.
But, take heart, my heart! It wasn't! Merely tacked down here and there. Hooray~

This newspaper was under the carpet....December 1966. Is that REALLY how old that carpet is? No wonder it is so stinky!


And this newspaper was under the lino....June 1947. In 1947, you could buy a house on a corner lot in Vancouver for $5,950.00. Or a full-blown mansion for $14,700.00.



And beneath it all?


Pretty much pristine fir flooring. A couple of little rough spots...little ones. Sigh. Beauty, eh?





Even our walk-in closet has hardwood. Swank. And check out those baseboards! 5" tall, all real wood baseboards. Same with the trim on the doors and the windows. Of course there are about 15 layers of paint on them, but I don't mind the work.














Look at what I know is beneath it all!








It's going to be gorgeous. Venetian plaster on the walls for texture and the restored trim and baseboards with our beautiful wood floors. I am practically drooling just thinking about it. Aren't you? It's taken two days to nearly finish scraping the closet...the bedroom? It looks like miles of trim to me right now, to tell you truth. Miles. Upon miles.









But, baby, I can handle that!









9 comments:

Coffeypot said...

The paper from 1966, boy does that bring back memories. There is Lil' Ablner, Donald Duck, Henry, all not seen anymore in this neck of the woods.

At first I thougt that picture of you was my Sweet Tea after we go out for Mecican food.

Michael Colvin said...

Those floors do look gorgeous. To think that people covered them up with yucky old lino and carpet. It will look great when you have finished though. We did an old Victorian up over fifteen years and it really was a labour of love.

That last photo! lol! You look like you mean business!

katy said...

at least all the paper, the lino and the carpet has protected the floor boards! get to it and show us the photos along the way, it will be well worth it

Olly said...

Ah, a kindred spirit... That last photo could easily been me. Between my husband & I, we have removed several layers of paint off window, door and cabinet frames. Worth it though,eh? The finished product is alway so nice - can't beleive the fine wood that was covered up years ago, having gone out of fashion.

You are a determined one, though. I find it suffocatingly hot enough wearing a respirator in winter. I would die if I tackled those heat gun/respirator projects in summer!

We also found an old newspaper when renovating. It was up in some rafters, from the late 50's.
Wish I could have got in on some of the real estate back then - the classified were very entertaining!

Biddie said...

Great photos. I love the old newspapers. Can't wait to see the after photos.

CindyDianne said...

Oh man! It's gonna be gorgeous! Really really gorgeous! WUHOO!

Anonymous said...

you are soooo hot in a ventilation mask. oooo baby!
had a read through, and i think panties is a good name and that your camping trip looks fun fun.
and you should just throw a little molatov cocktail over the barbwire fence... get them before they get you...

raine said...

Now that's commitment - we just finished a big reno, but not nearly so exciting- our house was just 1980's old, with no great quality features worth keeping. We just put in fake trim to get the look of your real stuff. It will be beautiful when you're done. And you are so so stylin' with the pink respirator!

captain corky said...

Enjoy the project. I look forward to seeing it when you're finished!