Saturday, July 07, 2007

Rude Barb's Aylickzer

I have only had this recipe about a year...look at the wear and tear of it already. I am on my third batch in two weeks...I always double this recipe when I make it...double it or more...for some reason, Blogger won't let me submit a title for this post today but I have come this far and hopefully, tomorrow, when someone wakes up and fixes the issue, I can edit and remedy this...Rude Barb's Alickzer. Try it. You won't be disappointed.
8 cups of water in a good sized pot





4 cups chopped rhubarb (I cut the stalks into one inch bits with the kitchen shears, directly into the pot of water)
1 large orange cut into segments...squeeze juice into pot and toss in the peel as well
1 large lemon done the same as the orange


cinnamon (powdered or sticks)...I use about a teaspoon



Bring all to a boil and then turn to medium until rhubarb is mush...about 15 minutes




Line a colander with cloth over large bowl and carefully glump the pot mixture into it...I let it drip until most of the liquid is drained and then press excess with a wooden spoon.
If there's a foamy ring around the pot you cooked the rhubarb in, rinse that off and measure liquid from the bowl back into the pot .
*For each cup of liquid, add 1/4 cup of sugar (remember that this is a concentrate that gets watered down) and bring close to a boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.





Cool and bottle...store in fridge. Water down to drink...I usually use 1/3 nectar to 2/3 water. There you have it...Rude Barb's Aylickzer.






9 comments:

Olly said...

Oh wow, thanks!

Now I am going to have to think of something to bake to take to my neighbour when I ask him for some rhubarb tomorrow. He is this nice old guy in his eighties. Busy all the time. He plants a garden every year just because that is what he always has done. Funny thing is he gives most of the stuff away, except for zucs, which he likes to see how big they can get!

He is the sort of neighbour who makes me think twice about moving away.

How is it going with the kittyƉ

katy said...

you forgot next step once its bottled!
get address from bloggers and post it to them!
that looks and sound mmmmmmmm

DJ Kirkby said...

OOOOHHH hello!!! I've seen you on HI's blog but didn't know you were from Nanaimo!!! I grew up on Quadra (and am very excited to find your blog as you can probably tell!)

dilling said...

hers, once bottled you use
1/3 alyckzer to 2/3 water... add some ginger to the initial boil for some spice...or ginger juice to the end result...it's nice with a splash of vodka and michael likes it with tequila but I am not so sure about that...
it's also nice in just water or bubbly water....

dilling said...

olly, make him some alyckzer...

Anonymous said...

This looks good! I will have to look for rhubarb at the story next time. Back in the day, my parents grew rhubarb down on the second level. I would pick it, and sit down on the railroad ties to eat it...break the leaf off, peal the stringy skin off of the stalk, dip it in sugar and oh my!

Coffeypot said...

Looks good, but did you happen to make any hamburgers?

dilling said...

coffeypot...we just finished bbq'ed buffalo burgers!!!!

Michael Colvin said...

Mmmm...burgers.