Friday, March 23, 2007

a wee little bit of it

Trust me, our skies don't look like this right now. It tried to snow again today, mixed into the rain. The daffodils are up, the cherry blosssoms are out, but it still looks miserable out there...
and maybe that is, in part, what is going on with me, with us...Michael and I and our place in the world. We have an appointment with the immigration attorney, starting the final processes for me to become a Canadian. We are talking, in guarded tones, of getting hitched this year. It should be a happy time. We should be excited and giddy.
But, it seems we are, all of a sudden, weary of the battles of this neighbourhood, of the constant fight with a certain landlord who, for whatever reasons, has the ability to keep his properties full of drug dealers and drug addicts...it seems that no matter how well the neighbourhood pulls together, it is never enough to turn the tide. How is it possible that one man can make life so very difficult for so many GOOD AND HONEST people?
We don't understand how a city this size has a drug problem this size and a drug enforcement squad of so few. We can't fathom how the population keeps growing but the RCMP doesn't. We can't understand the drive to make a ghetto of the south end of Nanaimo. This is where the history of this town is! Right here.
We don't understand how we can recognize every car that arrives to deal drugs every day, multiple times a day and they are still on the road...every day.
We don't understand how we can be threatened and made to feel unsafe in our homes and there is nothing to be done about it. If we band together and make a big stink, we get much appreciated action for a week or two, but then someone else makes a big stink and we have to start over. We're so tired...and I am sure the RCMP is tired...of us, of the problems, of the lack of manpower, the lack of support.
I love my house. It is everything I could ever have hoped for in a home...every single thing we have put into it, every single plan we have for it is EXACTLY what I have ever wanted in a home in the city. If I had known we would find ourselves here, in this place, I would not have put in my soul. I can't imagine living in another home in Nanaimo. Personally, if I can't have this home, I would just rather move on. Completely. This is the big thing that I have not been able to say. I don't want to give up my home...but I was never a good fighter.
I have other homes in my dreams, but not city homes...and the thought of moving to another home here makes me ache. If I have to move away from this house, I want it to be for another dream come true, not because I have given up. A home on the beach...or life on the road in an Airstream....a cabin in Colorado.
So there it is...a wee little bit of the torment I am in right now. Was it worth the anticipation?

11 comments:

Biddie said...

Oh, Dilling. It's all so unfair. I know how much you love your home.
This is good news about you and Michael, tho. Please don't let all of the crap drag you down. Yer gettin' hitched!

Anonymous said...

I have missed your photos of dog walks and am sorry for all of your troubles. I truly hope it all works out for you and that you are on to happier times.

CindyDianne said...

Well, if that is a wee little bit of it, you really do have a full plate. I wish I had some sage wisdom to send your way - but I don't.

I am so sorrry...

katy said...

it is unfair to have a home we love but its in the wrong place, but just remember if you are with the one you love you can have a home anywhere, i truly wish you all the happiness you both deserve x

Michael Colvin said...

I get very attached to places too and it wil be a real shame if you do decide to move. But Her Indoors is right. As long as you have each other you can make it anywhere.

Good news on the tentative marriage plans!

Anonymous said...

missus, i'd be so sad for you if you left nanaimo, but i would encourage you to move here for a bit....
as for getting married, if you give me enough notice i'll pack my prettiest dress in the stoller and walk!!!

Heidi the Hick said...

You know what? I know.

I live in this somewhat not so small town. It's a good drive away from the geographical place my heart lives. But it'll be ten years this summer that we've been here and I've made friends here. My kids have a social life. They have schools here.

But the horses are almost two hours down the road, as are both sides of our families, some important friends, and our church.

I always said, once we found this place, that I'm not moving until it's out THERE and with room for the horses to live with us.

It's slowly becoming a reality and I want it so bad but I will miss my friends and my cute little '50s bungalow.

(but I want my farm so bad it hurts)


I should have emailed this to you.....now go make some wedding plans for you and that sweet man!

ldbug said...

Well, congratulations on getting married! I'm so sorry aobut the diffuculties in your neighborhood:-( *hugs*

Olly said...

Been reading your blog for awhile. Really enjoy the photos. I also live in the south end. Up until lately our street has been fortunate to not have to endure much more than the odd noisy teenager. However a crack house/hooker drop-in centre became active about a month ago a few doors down. Like you mentioned all neighbours got together on the issue and started called the ass-hats (I love that one) on a daily basis. We have no recourse by calling the landlord as he is the ringleader of the place. An Angels wannabe at that!

I, too, love my house. We have restored it to our tastes and needs and have no intention of moving. Where would we go? The north end with its Surrey-like houses and malls just doesn't appeal.

It baffles me also for the 10 years that I have lived here why city council is trying to sabatoge the south. Is it to drive prices down for investments unknown?

I would like to see what would happen if a drug infestation popped up next to Korpan's house!

dilling said...

olly, good to hear from a neighbour...
one neighbour a few years back ran a little "experiment" that involved dropping a hooker off in Departure Bay... she lasted 6 minutes before RCMP picked her up and dropped her off right back here on Milton...6 minutes. Go figure.

Get Outdoors! said...

I'm thinking about buying a place on Hecate Street - one of the townhouses across from the old folks home - your blog scared the heck out of me - what's that neighbourhood like? my email is charlieguide@hotmail.com