Monday, March 19, 2007

Things have been tough around here lately...

and as the dust settles a bit more, I will tell you a tale...just not today, okay? It's enough that today, I find myself here at all, writing to you to let you know all is well (enough). I have been blog stalking you all. Never fear, I didn't leave.
On a lighter note, I promised a photo of my completed baby blanket project....I love it. I wish it was big enough for me!!!! Thanks to my good friend for helping me with the final sewing...funny that I can knit and not sew, isn't it?
So, yes, it is a little skull and crossbones blanket...is that wrong for a baby blanket?
Well, if it wrong, then why, oh why, do they make flannelette backing with tattoo flames? It is simply just too very perfect. Actually this may be my favourite knit project yet and I may do nothing more than knit skull and crossbone baby blankets in the future.
Anyhoo, my friend is in town in three days and I can't wait to see her face when she sees it.....gawsh, I hope she loves it as much as I do! And? To continue in my happy homemaking tradition....I would like to introduce you all to our new favourite recipe...it involves beer. This is my favourite beer and one can works perfectly for this recipe, although it is a bit more than called for...but it works well to make a lovely moist bread. It is a BIG can.

Mix up some olive oil and beautiful balsamic vinegar for dipping and enjoy...
some Beer Bread....or Faxe Bread, as we have been calling it around here. I may try Guinness next time....mmmmmmm.


Famous Beer Bread
12 cups (or 4) Gold Medal self-rising flour
1 cup (or 1/3) granulated sugar
72 ounces (or 24) beer
1/2 cup (or 1/6) melted butter
Combine dry ingredients. Add beer to the consistency of a thick batter. Spray four bread pans (10x5x3) with non-stick pan coating(or one). Fill bread pans three-quarters full. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes. Test doneness with a toothpick. Remove from pans, brush lightly with butter. Let cool and wrap.
(make self rising flour)
Using a dry measure, measure the desired amount of flour into a separate container.
For each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Mix to combine
And that's it tonight, friends. Honestly, I will take some deep breaths and try to compose something in the next couple of days. Until then, thanks for bearing with me.



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not being a beer drinker, you'll have to excuse the fact that when I first read the recipe through, I thought you meant 24 beer, as in 24 cans of beer...wouldn't that make a batch and a half of bread. Not only that, but you wouldn't be able to eat and drive!
Good to see your words on the monitor screen again...
Oh...and that baby blanket is simply the greatest!

emily said...

hey! nice work debbiecakes! she did much better than me...my attempt was
"f#%$#^%#^ck this stupid ^%#$%*#^%* sewing machine, it sucks &^%#*$%#* i'm throwing it out the #$&^#*^$ window.

for real though, you did a great job on the blanket!

and YUM the faxe bread, again, proof that you are the master of the faxe! (as if there was any doubt after saturday night)

Biddie said...

LOVE the blanket. Kayla would love it, too, my little punk rock girl. Great job.
Hope you're feeling better...

Anonymous said...

mmmm beer bread. there is a good recipe that adds herbs to it and cooks it in a terra cotta pot.yum.
and i made blueberry cobbler that would clobber you yesterday. yer as sweet as a newfoundland berry, missus!

CindyDianne said...

Dilling - the bread looks great. I may try it in OUR NEW HOUSE! Yee-Haw! We started moving in yesterday.

I hope things get better for you.

ldbug said...

Well, glad you're around, sorry things have been rough:-(

Love the blanket, and you're killing me with the bread! I've given up breads, pastas..trying to lose a few pounds...argggg;-P

katy said...

the blanket looks fantastic, the bread sounds delecious, hope you soon feeling better x

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh my gosh!!!! I can't tell you how I love that blanket!!!!

(are you taking orders??)

Gonna have to try that bread too. Interesting....

keep taking those deep breaths but dont; pass out and for sure let us know how you're doing because we all really really care!!!

Michael Colvin said...

Yay! I am so pleased you are back. I hope things have improved somewhat. I was worried about you both. :)

The baby blanket is a work of art, I am sure the recipient will be well chuffed!

I don't drink beer so I'm not sure if I would enjoy beer bread but like most things the flavour changes when cooked so I would give it a go! I am SO glad you are back :)

dilling said...

heidi~why would you need a baby blanket?!? A toque maybe????

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I love the blanket. I would put that on my bed. It's awesome, if I were I don't know that I could part with it.

Victoria said...

niiiiiiiiiiiice