Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Bowen Park

In a land known for water, it has been an especially wet winter, long and grey, demanding and, well, literally, OVERFLOWING. The past few days have been a little gift.
I don't think I have taken you all to Bowen Park before...it is a beautiful park, very other-worldly, just like you stepped into the pages of a fairy tale and it is right in the middle of Nanaimo. Today the weather is turning cold again, and the clouds are rolling in, but just the other day... the skies were so blue and warm...

And the grass is coming in nicely, overtaking the vast amounts of mud and muck that the long, cold, wet winter left in such quantity.


There is a beautiful Rhododendron Garden at Bowen Park. These are some of the early bloomers.




Rhodies are not one of my favourites, really, but the sheer fact that there is colour in the landscape is something to cheer about. They look so pale and delicate and it is not that warm out yet, really. I worry about them. There are cherry blossoms out, too, but without the warm air, I can't smell them. Last year, in the heat, you could walk down the streets and smell the cherry blossoms...I would just stop under the trees for a moment or two before continuing on, but this year is too chilly to spread that sweet smell of spring.



I don't know what these are...but they are charming, arent they? They are blooming on the ground in the Rhododendron Garden. I'd like some in my yard, if anyone knows the name of these!





Fawn lilies...just one little patch of them at Bowen. Wait until you see the pictures from Piper's Lagoon. These little beauties are blooming like a blanket out there.






Sunlight through the trees. I do so love the West Coast rain forests, the moss, the ferns, the evergreens....when the sun comes up, there is soft green spilling down to a well cushioned floor.

The winter is long and grey here, but all that rain makes this so very lush come the spring(if it every truly arrives). It's a difficult trade-off. I know we west coasters are considered weather wimps. I would be the first to admit my own wimpy-ness, but it is difficult to convey how very grey every aspect of a west coast coast winter is...the amounts of rain, the need for rain gear for a five minute walk around the block, there being no difference between ten a.m. and 3 p.m.










Even the skunk cabbage is a welcome harbinger of Spring for us right now. I don't even mind the smell so much.






And finding a secret poet lurking in the park made my whole day....Who-
ever you are, you are heroic! Thank You!









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are back. I live on the east coast of the US, but your pictures make me long for a trip out by you....what a beautiful place to live.

Michael Colvin said...

Thanks for sharing some more great pics. I go away from blogland for a few days and you have posted loads to enjoy! Thanks. :)

Michael Colvin said...

I just came back for a peruse of your pics. I LOVE walking in the woods but alas for us it has more or less been a month of rain and mud and grey. Just as well that I can pop over and enjoy your beautiful pics. Thank you. :)