Sunday, March 25, 2007

Musical Tag


Well, Life tagged me this week to tell you all about the top seven songs that I am "groovin' "on lately...however, as you all may or may not recall(ha ha), I am in the midst of Deep Thoughts. In times such as these about the only thing you will find on my cd player at all is....can you guess? Willie Nelson.

All five of my cd spots in my cd player are Willie Nelson right now...

Here's the deal with Willie. He and my father are inseparable to me...when I listen to Willie, I can hear my father. My dad and I are good and glorious now, but not always...the really only great memories I have as a kid that involve my dad involve music. He sings...and sang out loud when times were good. He sounds very much like Willie. He should have been a country singer. He should have been Willie Nelson's best friend. Willie is his hero. For a lot of life?!? Willie Nelson is the only thing my father and I ever had in common. And for that, and for a lot of other reasons, Willie is one of my heroes, too, a man who loves music, all music and doesn't limit himself to one genre...and I feel a lot of comfort and a sense of my place in the world when I listen to him. And? My voice is excellent on a country song, just like my father's and singing makes me feel good...touchstone.
Willie covers lots of my favourite songwriters as well, so I get the distinct pleasure of listening to my favourite songs sung by my favourite singer... songs that are often so tender and heartbreaking that I have to put it on repeat....but if the lyrics don't reach you, what is it all about anyway? And so, as lame as you all may think this is....seven songs sung by Willie Nelson that I have listened to a lot in the past few weeks...

1. You Remain (by David Poythress) featuring Bonnie Raitt , album:(Across the ) Great Divide

2. Hallelujah(by Leonard Cohen ) album: Songbird

3. Amazing_Grace (by John Newton) album: Songbird

4. Graceland(by Paul Simon) album : (Across the )Great Divide

5. Bird_on_the_Wire (byLeonard Cohen) Album: Tower of Power

6. the-maker (by daniellanois ) Album: Teatro.

7. My Own Peculiar Way(by Willie Nelson) Album: Teatro.

So there you have it...and? by the way? Teatro is one of the best albums ever produced....Daniel Lanois is brilliant. And I tag em and cara.

10 comments:

Biddie said...

I'm so glad that you posted your list! I thought that it might be a nice change of pace, since you're dealing with so much crap right now.
I'll have to check out your songs, cuz most of 'em I don't know. We do have the Graceland cd, tho, and I love it.
I am also a huge fan of Deep Thoughts.
I hope that you're feeling a little better. I'm thinking of you. :)

Anonymous said...

ohhh, okay, gimme a bit. i always listen to the same songs...

ldbug said...

I like when music can get tangled up in memory..

Michael Colvin said...

Although I've heard of him I don't really know his stuff. If only there was more time!

katy said...

dont you find that the music we listen too depends on our moods?

Heidi the Hick said...

Wow. Willie.

Opposite of you, my dad didn't like Willie all that much. Liked him, just not his voice.

Me, I would like him for FarmAid alone, but then there's the biodiesel thing and the scruffy hippy/cowboy/outlaw thing. Awesome. He's such a great writer.

Thanks for the video!!! And the song links!!!! Great post!

CindyDianne said...

Ahhhh, I love Willie.

Mindi said...

You might be interested to know that they just announced that Willie will be coming to Victoria June 28th. Tickets go on sale March 30th.
www.selectyourtickets.com

You don't know me but I occasionaly read your posts. Hope you don't mind. Mindi

dilling said...

Mindi....thanks....so...much....I am as good as there... quite possibly the Vancouver show as well...

Anonymous said...

Willie and Johnny Depp...see, we have more than one man in common!