Wednesday, March 07, 2007

bits and pieces

Holy schmokes, folks, the sun is out and I am in short sleeves...I could nearly weep about that...but I am stuck here at home waiting for BC Hydro to come get our old fridge. AAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHH!!!!
I am dreaming of camping...literally. I need to get out of this neighbourhood for a few days. I need Michael to be away from here for a few days. We need some solitude...about 100 years of it...shout out to the Oprah Windfey Book Club. We need to spend some time without the struggle. I wrote a poem on the new fridge about camping....
Finally, our first Daddodil is up....brave and fearless, the only one to stick up her head. I LOVE her for that. Isn't she grand?!?
I found these snowdrops out in the bush yesterday...Emma and I were traipsing through mud and marsh and tangles, trying to find something Springlike for photos. Sadly, spring is arriving very, very, very slowly. It's frustrating. There are buds on the trees, but not many flowers yet. No daffies, no tulips and very few crocus. This is not a usual March on the west coast.

The swans are still here... these two were a little closer yesterday...there are two in this photo. It's like Where's Waldo, eh? Gah, I wish I had a telephoto lens...and a super macro lens....


Yesterday, this was the sky, weak and wintery....I was dressed in layers. Today is gorgeous. Where is BC Hydro? I want to go, go, go.




And finally, I would like to introduce you to the newest members of our household....after much delay and frustration, may I present.....



George....





...and Martha......(and emma's nose)....






One freshly painted and trimmed out basement...I know you can't really tell the difference, but we sure can...what once looked like sickly and tobacco stained walls are a crisp white and blue, nautical-ish and clean...and bright, for a basement.







And two laundry sinks(Donald and Lydia) and four weeks of intensive labour later(thanks to Michael's dogged determined-ness), a newly plumbed basement, extra taps, no galvanized pipes(they were here originally but RUST!) and all shiny and new....I have done eight loads of laundry, may do one more today just because I can and George is so nice...and Martha actually DRIES things( without exploding)....
and cuz I am trapped here waiting for BC Hydro....








11 comments:

emily said...

you mean, old fridges don't just stay in the kitchen? someone send that memo to bill!

dilling said...

um, they can migrate out to the front deck...and stay there....pretty soon, I will have to go put the car up on cinderblocks...

Michael Colvin said...

There is something therapuetic about doing the laundry. Well not by hand obviously! I hope George, Martha and the twins serve you well!

Heidi the Hick said...

yeay! Look at your glossy white walls!

Call me sick but I love doing laundry.

And I love your poem too.

Anonymous said...

Great love/getaway poem. Great looking George and Martha (like the kids' book) and doesn't it make you wonder what it is about that very first flower to bloom...the urge to be ahead of the others, tenacity, love of spring?

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Thanks for the great blog. I discovered it through the newspaper article. My friends Deb and Lance are always talking about your struggle in the "hood". My family has been contemplaiting a move to that area but we hesitate because of some of the things you discuss and what we experienced living near there previously. That being said, I think you have a beautiful neighbourhood and in time you will get things accomplished. Love the dogs!

katy said...

the poem is lovely. the new basement is smart hope George and Martha will have a very long and happy life down there!!!

Heidi the Hick said...

ooh look, somebody from the newspaper article!!!

ldbug said...

Oooooo lovely machines!! I'm jealous!

Still cold and snow here....

dilling said...

We love Deb and Lance very very much...they are our very good friends...that's their dog in a lot of my photos! Yuko from the Yukon!

Anonymous said...

hurray positive feed back!!
and spring.... i won't see daffodils til late may... and hi george, hubba hubba