Sunday, June 18, 2006

thoughts of home

Olympia, WA...the postcard backdrop of my life....looks pretty in black and white. My mom worked here, too, so it really was a bit more than a backdrop, I guess.
Oly is changing so much it is sometimes hard to recognize until you see the capitol. There is not too much I miss other than the company I kept... Big Tom's burgers and cheap micro brews. You can't swim in the lake anymore, or the Deschutes near the brewery...in fact, the brewery is not a brewery anymore. The smell of hops will not permeate anymore childhoods, resulting in fewer kids growing up to enjoy Pale Ales or IPAs. Maybe that is the master plan. I know the smell of Michael brewing our beer makes me feel like I am home, almost more than anything else. If I could take everyone I wanted out of there and have them near me, there would be no reason to go back....so move here, already, you guys!!!! Island life is sweet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SOOOO sorry to hear that you spent most of your visit sick in bed (good cat to keep you company, though). You'll just have to fly back over to Sechelt and spend a couple of days sitting on the beach sifting for glass bits. We'll stay out of Em's backyard...she had TWO coyotes up by her compost tonight. Yikes...Casper will be kept on a shorter leash!

dilling said...

Eeks--maybe a motion detector sprinkler would work to get those pests moving along...it certainly helps the neighbours keep the crackheads out of their yard.

Anonymous said...

You are too sweet. Sorry about the stupid cop arresting the dog. How ironic...the racoons moved out!!!! yes I said racoons, that is what moved into our house. I caught the mama in the pool sunday. She had tripletts. Very cute little buzzsaws. I will try and email pictures later. Love and miss you much.//... scoob