Monday, February 25, 2008

The Festival of Sugar

The 8th Annual Maple Sugar Festival arrived and departed over the weekend. Thank goodness it comes but once a year and stays but two or three days...thank the maple sugary goodness. There is plenty to see packed into this tiny package...lots of live music, visual artists, textile artists, clowns, balloon-animal-makers, etc. I really look forward to seeing Frenchie the Clown each year, but I didn't see him this year. Merde.

And there are ice scultptors, too. Michael really enjoyed watching these guys create their short-lived art...I think it was the allure of power tools. It's a guy thing.

The art I appreciated is short-lived, too. The food artists were there....chutneys and jams and ice creams and pickled things and spiced things and mulled things, food galore, in every fruit or vegetable imaginable. GLORIOUS. And of course, the sugar. The maple sugar...everywhere.

Maple sugar syrup on your pancakes, on your sausages, in your baked beans, glazing your ham...sigh. Maple candy, maple fudge, maple biscuits with maple icing...pardon my drool, you guys.


MMMMMmmmmmmaple butter spread.....oh my sugary goodness. Life can be sweet, but not as sweet as this. And somewhere between maple syrup and maple butter comes the Sweetest Perfection of all and it is called maple toffee by most. Divine Intervention, is what I call it. Proof that the Universe loves us...loves me, anyway. I don't know about the rest of you.



A confection made by boiling maple sap past the point where it would form maple syrup but not so long that it becomes maple butter or maple sugar. It is part of traditional culture in Quebec and northern New England. In both Québec and Northern New England, it is poured onto the snow and then lifted either with a small wooden fork or a metal dinner fork. Here, they used tongue depressors, but who cares?????? Just GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!!




Here in B.C. , this gives new meaning to "rollin' one." At least I can appreciate this one.





Oh my goodness.....I am drooling now just looking at this photo. Thank goodness it is only available here once a year(twice for me cuz I go back again the next day just for this every year). So, okay, I am gonna go now....make some toast and butter it with a mapley spread....
MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmapley goodness.






14 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks WONDERFUL! We are expecting quite a bit of snow this evening, although our county park will be gathering maple syrup later in March. That festival is nothing like this! I remember getting little samples of the pressed maple sugar leaves at the county fair when I was a kid. Good stuff.

How was the music?

dilling said...

Cajun-y, if you are from the states...Acadian-y if you are from up here. At least while we were there. Gotta LOVE that, eh? Sweet Zydeco music!!!!

Olly said...

This is the first year that I didn't go. We aren't in the Home Shows anymore, but when we were the spring one was always on the same time as the Maple Sugar Festival. I'm a sucker for poutine, and a chance to abandon my post at the home show was always welcome!

Will have to catch it next year for sure. This weekend we searched the island for an antique dining room table instead.

dilling said...

Olly, did you find one? There are some chairs at the Velvet Paws I want so bad, but they won't fit under our table!!!

Principle of Vice said...

I luv Maple like a fat kid luvs cake!

raine said...

My pics of the festival to come as soon as I get over my procrastinating panic...wiriting, writing studies...I missed Frenchy soo much. Don't you think he's kind of hot? Oh no! Am I one of those clown pervs? no....I think it's just the Parisian accent...

Victoria said...

hot damn now I'm drooling too!!!!

dilling said...

Me, too, POV, me too!!!! Luvluvluv
Rain, no. I don't think Frenchie is hot...and I am a little concerned that you do...
Victoria,..right?

Michael Colvin said...

I've only tried maple syrup the once and wasn't too keen. But maybe cooking pancakes in a layby in the rain on a miserable camping holiday didn't help either.

Thanks for the tour. I would deffo like to give maple syrup a second chance.

captain corky said...

Suddenly I want a big stack of pancakes. Yep, pancakes loaded with butter and maple syrup. That would really hit the spot.

Heidi the Hick said...

whoa, you have maple syrup already? We've got another good month to go yet. I always buy a big jug of it from the Old Order Mennonites who set up shop at the highway crossing.

I swear maple syrup is one of the blessings of putting up with winter.

Olly said...

Dilling: Ya, we bought one from the Post Office Antique Mall in Ladysmith. But I think I'll sneak a peak at those chairs at the Velvet Paw, though. Thanks!

dilling said...

Oh, Tod...that would be miserable. I am not a pancake fan...thy it on French toast with sausage or bacon!!!mmmmmm.
Captain...is that on your baby food diet?
Heidi...I bet that is SOSOSOSO good.
Olly, yay on the table!

Yvonne said...

oh yum!
I must go to this next year. ;)