Tuesday, September 09, 2008

"I have worried about many things

most of which did not come to pass...." yeah, that's me, quoting Mellencamp. Maybe it's it is this whole coming up on 40 thing, thinking about how my life is(very good) and how it might have been(let's not go there, see earlier post)...if any one thing had been different, if I had not been strong enough, or brave enough, or crazy enough...or if the colour blue of the sky in Colorado had been something I had seen before... This post isn't about such introspection...at least not mine. It is about John Mellencamp's, though. And it's full of heel-stompin', emphasis marking statements about getting older , being tired and dying one day, about the eyes of heaven, about not being a coward without being a hero(not that he's not one of my heroes, cuz he absolutely is!!!!) As much as this music is about getting older and dying, it's about LIVING, about being a better person...something I can work on. How about you?
Yeah, I know, I told you about it before, but EVERY time I listen to this album, it just gets better. Like life-altering, jaw-dropping, holy-shit-that's-deep-and-I-wish-I-could-have-said-it-that-way better. Don't you love a real life songwriter? Just look up the lyrics...read them like a poem...read them like someone's secret diary....read them like it's your life. Read them like it's my life. Read them like it's your neighbour's life. Or someone you have never even met....now add the music....

"I realized our country has written some sad motherfuckin' songs. I wanted to see if I had it in me to write like that....I see darkness everywhere, and I have to write about it. I don't care if I just sell six records. All I can do is keep on writing songs and singing."
-- Mellencamp on Life, Death, Love and Freedom in Rolling Stone magazine's 2008 spring music preview issue
.
You should buy this album. I doubt you'll regret it...and if you do regret , hold onto that cd until you're old enough to get it. He should sell at least seven albums. Don't you think?

10 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

When I was much younger I used to devour the Lyrics to Kate Bush songs. I have always admired her work over the ears, even in some of its weirder phases when she was singing about washing machines...

Heidi the Hick said...

OOh I sing about washing machines. They wash the clothes while I do other stuff! They're amazing!

Mellencamp? I just can't get over how great and healthy he looks! What a path his career his taken him on. I've been curious about this album. I'l have to take you up on your recommendation.

CindyDianne said...

I think I'll get it for my iPod before we go to Iowa.

dilling said...

I LOVE Kate Bush...she's delicious!
Heidi, it's a great album...
CindyDiane, Iowa?!?

Biddie said...

I have always loved Mellencamp. I loved when he was John Cougar, and John Cougar Mellencamp, and I love him still.
He really does look great.

Lily said...

Ah yes, when he was John Cougar he was great! I love him still.

Olly said...

There was just a great biography on him the other day on TV. Did you see it?

Olly said...

There was just a great biography on him the other day on TV. Did you see it?

dilling said...

olly, what channel???? i didn't see it but we don't have expanded cable....michael doesn't like tv but has basic cable, for me....

Michael Colvin said...

Um, actually Kate Bush has very nice "ears." LoL!