Friday, September 05, 2008

The Rapture




All summer

I wandered the fields

that were thickening every morning,

every rainfall,

with weeds and blossoms,

with the long loops

of the shimmering,

and the extravagant-

pale as flames they rose

and fell back,

replete and beautiful-

that was all there was-

and I too

once or twice,

at least,

felt myself rising,

my boots

touching suddenly the tops of the weeds,

the blue and silky air-

listen,

passion did it,

called me forth,

addled me,

stripped me clean

then covered me with the cloth of happiness-

I think there is no other prize,

only rapture the gleaming,

rapture the illogical the weightless-

whether it be for the perfect shapeliness

of something you love-

like an old German song-

or of someone-

or the dark floss of the earth itself,

heavy and electric.

At the edge of sweet sanity open such wild,

blind wings.

(Mary Oliver)

8 comments:

The Preacherman said...

Christ I thought you'd found a dinosaur for a second - yeah I know that's Raptor...

...well? I'm pissed again what you expect?

nice poem babe x

Michael Colvin said...

Cool poem. It is amazing how a moment alone with nature can take you by surpise sometimes.

Anonymous said...

beautiful poem thank you x
Mr Milo has posted for you and Eem-mer

Biddie said...

Beautiful. :)

Heidi the Hick said...

oh my gosh, that is breathtaking...

captain corky said...

Pretty poem.

dilling said...

Isn't Mary Oliver just AMAZING????

Yvonne said...

Beautiful. ;)