Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Man, oh man,

but it's raining here....the pellet stove is set on the second setting AND the furnace is on. What gives? Not that I really mind too much today and let me tell you why.... Just over a week ago, things were looking good in the Hood. The city came in and worked on the roads, laid in some irrigation lines and came to lay curbs. Beautiful, isn't it? My curb. Tee hee. We really thought they were dry when we went out...we really, truly did....but I think it's cute, all the same.
Some of you may not know why curbs would make us so happy around here. This street has looked pretty trashed for quite a while, and people parked up on what was supposed to be curbs, or all the way onto the sidewalks sometimes. Huge mudpits and puddles so deep they could swallow you whole were everywhere...so now we have curbs....

and we have street trees....woot woot!!!


I got a flowering dogwood in front of my house!!!! How rocking is that?!? One of my very favorite trees ever...this one is white and already flowering. I have one planted in the yard that is a pink flower and has not yet bloomed. So cool. Dogwood city right here.



So, yeah...seems like things should be feeling pretty good around here but WHAM!!!!!
Crackheads, dealers and hookers EVERYWHERE!!!!! And they're all new. Like a freaking ferry full of new arrivals and somebody told them all that Victoria Road is the place to be. Literally, I heard a brand-new(used)hooker on the street asking someone walking where Victoria Road was while she was standing on it. What happened? There are addicts in the church stairwell, down both alleys, in the park, yelling at residents, knocking on our door at 11:30pm(yup, it's true)... new cars dealing that we are already sick of seeing, a million and one phone calls to the RCMP, so many new(used) hookers...how many crack hookers can one medium-sized town support? I am sickened by how many this town can support. New(used) faces, same old story...again, what just happened?!?
So I am enjoying the downpour today. It's the only day in the past week where there hasn't been a steady stream of hookers, dealers, crackheads, etc going past my place from the moment I pull back the curtains in the morning til the time I close them up again at night. With the Empire Days Parade coming next weekend and lining up outside against our new curbs, maybe the City should invest in some Majorette costumes for the girls working out there...since they are already parading, that is. But the City will probably round them up and move them out for the day , like usual.
Well, I suppose I better go do something constructive today....I have barely left the general area of the pellet stove's radiant, glowing heat. Man, oh man, is it really May?!?





10 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

We have had a full week of sunshine but I think it is on the turn now. Shame that your shiny new paths have to messed up by grotty hookers.

Olly said...

It's COLD today. I took my car in for some work and had to walk home in the cold pouring rain!!!

Good to hear about the Dogwood tree. Are they trying to provide shade for the crackers and tweekers this summer?

Olly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Biddie said...

That sucks. Big time..One step forward, two steps back...
Shawn found two kids sleeping on the church steps next door this morning. I feel badly for the kids, but they are scabby and creepy. I really don't like the idea of a hobo camp set up right next door.
Sigh..Does that make me sound awful????

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the hookers and the rain, but I love your little Dogwood! At least there is a glimmer of hope.

Heidi the Hick said...

Judging by those sweet pictures, I'd never guess what kind of crap is going down in your neighbourhood...

I love that paw print in the cement so much.

The Preacherman said...

Shall I send over my Scottish gangster pals to sort out your neighbourhood?

They're ok trust me. They'd only maim the bad guys.

dilling said...

MSP...yes, please

Victoria said...

what are "pellets" exactly. I've heard of pellet stoves, but don't know what the pellets are :)

dilling said...

Victoria, pellets are compressed sawdust...the leftovers from the mill, kind of. Like itty bitty presto logs...they burn clean, barely leave any ash, and the pellet stove has a little auger that feeds just a few every few minutes into the flame...our new stove has cut our fuel oil heat by well over half...maybe even 2/3. With the price of oil what it is, that is a godsend.