Monday, May 21, 2007

Two Steps Back....

The morning of the Empire Days Parade broke, grey and cold....after a week of sunny, warm weather, I am sure it might have been a disappointment for some. I found it fitting. Hoorah...clean up the South End for one day...and then let it rain on down. I had spent a fairly sleepless night watching out the window while the same six vehicles trolled for hookers up and down this very same road. The day before, there was a person passed out on drugs on the street while someone else(neighbour beware!) asking passers-by if they "needed anything."
During the parade line up, this white van cruised around picking up stray crackheads and hookers....One of our new regulars is seen here getting in. I assume the driver is offering a warm breakfast to keep them off our street for a couple of hours. So, hey, City, or Salvation Army, or Samaritan House, THANKS EVER SO for helping everyone buy into the fact that nothing bad ever happens on these streets.
And? Mayor and Council decided to line up closer to town this year...I wonder if they were a wee bit worried about coming up here and meeting with us this year. Last year they were just out front. This year, even after the hooker and crackhead cleanup, they decided they just didn't need to put in an appearance down here. Go figure.
So, despite the weather and the disappointment of not being able to speak to mayor and council(I really did want to thank them face to face for the Nuisance Property vote, I did), we set up on the front porch, wrapped in blankets to watch the line up and the start of the parade.


Balloon Man won a blue ribbon for something. It should have been for standing around in Birkenstocks during the weather(May long weekend? Hello? It's gonna get cold and miserable SOMETIME!) while waiting for the parade to start.


Line up to the right of us....and somehow, I lost the photo for the line up to the left of us and I won't load it now because it will be out of order.....sorry.





There were several Thunderbirds on parade.....our favourite was this pink one so that's the photo you get....




Our friend's son is a Cadet, and heading off to march in the parade here, on a grey and dismal afternoon in south Nanaimo.




The giant Blue Brothers Band sounding FANTASTIC playing "Jesus is Just Alright" by the Doobie Brothers....I LOVE the Doobie Brothers. I do.
And today, as I drove by one of those "Uninhabitable" properties owned by the same landlord as the one across the street, I saw a single cop car there...and about 15 crackheads. Seems they are inhabiting, despite the ruling. Later, as I drove by again, cop was gone, crackheads everywhere, front door open.
Two doors down from me, someone is dealing.
Two Steps Backward.
I am so tired.







8 comments:

CindyDianne said...

Well, it sounds like it was fun as well as tiring! Are you getting to rest now?

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Dilling. Sometimes it gets worse before it gets better? Nope, I can't think of anything to say that sounds right. I do think it's worth the fight, though.

The Doobie Brothers, wow. And that is a good old song. How about Blackwater? I have many of their albums and now they have gone full circle back to Tom Johnston again. Good stuff.

Olly said...

Wow... How can it take so few houses to screw up a good neighbourhood? Our crackhouse two doors down was on Monday deemed a nuisance house, but still is in full operation. Everyone is losing faith in the system and is talking of taking care of things ourselves. That really scares me.

Missed the parade - usually take the kids every year but didn't feel like braving the weather. It figures that the city's powers-that-be didn't have the guts to show their faces. Too many grassy knolls maybe?

dilling said...

Olly, keep calling...once it is declared a nuisance, every time the police respond, the landlord is charged for that call! Eventually, the landlord will get tired of the bill.

Anonymous said...

Poop...one of these days, it's going to be a G-I-A-N-T step forward. I hope you are going to be home on Wednesday and Thursday...I'm coming over at long last!

katy said...

its just not fair is it!? but you keep at it it has to come out right soon, my best photo was of emma looking at the line up

emily said...

i say next year we make a float!!!!

aethan can drive, we can drink faxe, we'll have all our neighbours, skid and nancy, amanda...the works!!!!

Camie Vog said...

okay...I promise to stop complaining about the ghetto I live in. Your neighborhood sounds MUCH worse.