Thursday, May 29, 2008

um, yeah...

Just today, Heidi was talking about training your animals....the good things and the bad things. It comes as a timely issue, as my friend just got a rescue dog, half mastiff. He is a goof and a half. At eleven months old, and 90 pounds, he still has some height and weight to gain. He is more than a handful....kind of a painful handful. He's got some terrier in him. Go on, guess which kind. Much like my Ee-meer. Of course, at 24 pounds, in a scrap, she is much easier to remove from any given situation. Two years after rescue, Eem-er still only recognizes about five words(No, Rabbit, Chucker{squirrel}, dinner, chicken)....I guess nobody ever "talked" to her before.....much like my friend's new dog. Her "Rock" is a gorgeous thing, likeable, if not loveable yet....with too much energy and NO training. Hello, Cesar, Nanaimo is in need of you, too. In both a greater and lesser degree.
After raising dogs from puppyhood, I have to finally concede that I have no idea how to deal with issues that stem from previous owners...from having a puppy-mill/abused dog.....Ee-mer still confuses me with her awkward and sad behaviours....what I most look forward to, being a Canadian Resident and able to finally work and have my own paycheck, is paying for Nanaimo's own Dog Whisperer to come and help me make Ee-mer's life more fulfilling....more engaging...more profound. I hope my friend does the same. "Rock" , for sure, needs to address some issues.....
we love our pets....
we made their personalities...or accepted them...they surely didn't have much choice in the matter....it's time to step up and make their lives better...or else what was it all for.
think.
be proactive.
be profound.

3 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Yup.

THat's the main reason we got the pug as a puppy, even though I kind of wanted to give a home to an unwanted dog. I needed to know exactly what this dog has grown up with. He's gotten tons of love, firm discipline and boundaries. I can't imagine how hard a stubborn little pug would be to retrain!!!

Although I know people have managed it.

Poor lil Eemer has been through so much in her life and you know she's got a much better life than she could have hoped for.

But I totally agree-it's up to us to give them a good life!

And I love that picture of her!

The Preacherman said...

I've trained my cats to er....

My cats have trained me to feed them on demand, play with bits of string on demand, empty litter trays immediately after use, feed them again, open the kitchen door for them as they prefer that to the cat flap.

In return they let me live here too.

Biddie said...

Porky was an preloved dog, but I wonder how much love she really ever got...She hated most people, and barely tolerated us...She was abused, in some way, no doubt about it. I am so glad that we rescued her, though. She was at the shelter for 5+ months before she came home to us, and who knows what before that.
Ruby came from a private home, and I am fairly certain that we rescued her, too. Mind you, she rescued me :0)
I am so glad that you have your Eemer. She has a great life now, and much like Ruby did for me, I suspect that Eem has changed your life in many ways, too.