Saturday, May 03, 2008

and now back to regularly scheduled programing....

So, yeah, like I was saying the other day...before Mayor Korpan(of the "Free Nanaimo From Koruption" bumper sticker hall of fame...or shame, whatever) so rudely interrupted me, I finally found my chocolate lilies. They're late this year, probably due to the La Nina weather this spring. That just means it is colder here this year than most ....everything is slow to bloom. D-Cakes(Yuko's mom) and I headed out to Piper's Lagoon this past week for a walk. We didn't really expect to see any because we have been keeping our eyes open for them, but to no avail. They are usually out just before the fawn lilies or about the same time....the fawn lilies, however, are just about over and done with. At least at Piper's Lagoon.
This is Miner's Lettuce...it is edible. Whacks of vitamin C in it. We transplanted some to our back yard a while back and harvest it for salad greens when it is in season. No, we didn't steal it from a Provincial park, either. It grows everywhere...but I am not going to eat if from just anywhere! Sheesh.

And lo and behold....my lily....I love it so. Isn't she gorgeous?!? Divine? Breathtaking? Sigh.


It grows in somewhat ecologically fragile places so in order to get these photos from beneath, we had to find a flower that was not surrounded by other lilies or wildflowers. It wasn't easy, but we perservered until we found this one surrounded only by grass.



First D-Cakes, and then I, lay in the same spot for some photos....careful not to squash anything and then we fluffed the grass back up behind us.




There were quite a few and I could bore you all to pieces I took so many photos of them.
I did mention that I love these guys, right?
When we finish our "indigenous" garden out back of the house this year, hopefully we can fill it with local ferns, trillium, huckleberry, fawn lilies and these little beauties. Of course, we have to find them somewhere other than a Provincial Park, and carefully dig them out and outside of Piper's Lagoon, I have only ever seen one...one lonely chocolate lily out at Chase River Estuary.
It will be like a treasure hunt.





Finally, I got a photo of a towhee, too. They are normally quite shy but this boy is looking for a girl. He was just singing away...I wish the colours had turned out better, and the details, but I am still quite pleased. I have been trying to get a decent photo of one of these for months and months.






I don't know what these are. Do you?






But we all know what this is by now, right? Okay, I better let you all go. I can feel your eyes rolling. I don't blame you.
Bye.
Talk at you all later, k?








7 comments:

raine said...

I'm going to go looking for those yummy lilies in about an hour....


I've been reading, just soo crazy busy.

Gardenia said...

Oh yes, she (the lilly) is all that and more! Love the towhee as well!

CindyDianne said...

I heart chocolate lilies. And I love lying in the grass to get a great picture of a flower! Yay!

We are SO gonna have fun when we meet up in Alaska!

Get Outdoors! said...

Those are gorgeous lillies! Can you recommend any good books on local plants?

dilling said...

Bing, I don't...there must be some. I usually just google or ask one of my more knowledgeable friends...I am currently reading a Memoir book by Patrick Lane called "There is a Season" and he is a gardener here on Vancouver Island...he writes a bit about some of the local flowers/plants/shrubs/fungi/mosses in this book and then I google the names and compare them to what I have found up here....I just found a new lily yesterday that I am excited to show everyone, but am hoping to find the name of it before I post a photo!!!

Olly said...

Love the lilies! I don't know about lying in the grass though after seeing the snake pictures you posted!

Michael Colvin said...

They are beautiful.