Monday, April 28, 2008

a walk after the rain

Saturday was beautiful here...we puttered in the garden, walked the dog, lingered in the sunshine, bbq'ed our supper and put the day to rest in bliss.
Sunday was dismal. Raining and chilly and "You have to light the pellet stove before I get out of bed....." Really, I am altogether "over" Spring. C'mon Summer!!! At least it didn't snow.
Around 3pm the rain stopped and as Eem-er was bored out of her mind and circling Crazytown with toenails endlessly ticking, running laps around the hardwood floors, we bolted for Bowen Park for a walk.
These are old culverts to direct the run-off. Once upon a time, they were water pipes made out of cedar and wrapped in iron. Only the wrapping remains today. The wooden pipes have long since worn or washed away.
Here is Eem-er reflecting on Island Life, and Dog Walks.
Skunk Cabbage. It is EVERYWHERE. It is beautiful to see right now, and not too stinky. I guess there are some bonuses to this cool Spring. It has kept the smells down.


The Rhodie Garden at Bowen is not its usual extravagant self....again, the cool weather has kept the glorious blooms from their typical glory. Not too many in bloom yet.



Funnel web. Cool, eh?




New fern growth always reminds me of Dr. Suess books.





Red....





and white.....after the rain.
Again, I seem to be reaching for subjects to write about...but the dogwalks continue. Thank goodness for that, eh?
Take care, all.








10 comments:

Val Cox said...

wow, what a day, beautiful photos!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful as always! I love the Dr. Seuss thought. I can see the resemblance. It's snowing here this evening. What the heck is going on?

JoS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JoS said...

nice pics of eem-er and the funnel web. Spring is getting tiresome, isn't it? Except won't we miss all these beautiful blossoms when summer finally arrives?

Gaaaah -- I tried to leave this comment from me but the website insisted on publishing it from Swirl II. so I deleted it and tried again. Maybe this time, it will actually be credited to me instead of a boat!!

JoS said...

Nope -- guess you're going to have to be satisfied with corresponding with a boat from now on!

Michael Colvin said...

The upside of the rain is that everything looks freshly washed and verdant. There are so many great pics on this walk it is hard to find a favourite. I think the funnel web and new fern growth are outstanding. Thanks for sharing your walks, I do enjoy them. :)

CindyDianne said...

I never, ever in a million years, will get tired of the spring. I guess that is because it is so short here and the summers so blasted hot.

I have some neato pictures up right now! Come and visit! Tell which one is your favorite! And why!

Heidi the Hick said...

Thank you!

I always enjoy this...

Olly said...

Ok, you had me until the spider web. Yikes, wonder what lives in there?

Oh, did you hear the latest? 7-10 club wants to come to my neighborhood - just down the street from my daughter's school. I hate to change her school after all these years, but I will.

dilling said...

Olly, I think the 7-10 Club used to be the best run of all the social services here, and I would've traded any four of our service industries here(methadone clinic, needle exchange, No Hope Centre, Tillicum House driving around handing out condoms and needles, VIHA nurses handing out crack kits and condoms, etc) in Nob Hill for 7-10...with Gord Fuller running things, at least there was somebody with real life integrity in there and not somebody thinking they are going to heaven for this work(John Horn), and since he lives in this area of town has sympathy with the neighbours...but not now, it sounds like the 7-10 has some serious in-fighting for power and politics....funny how serving the less fortunate brings out the worst in people, isn't it?