Monday, April 21, 2008

aftermath

Well, it started melting pretty quickly but the damage was done. Many cherry trees around here lost large limbs and branches. Some just snapped entirely under the weight of all that wet snow. So sad. Apparently Beban Park lost some trees, too, but I haven't been to that side of town yet. I'll swing by later on my way home from the grocery store to look. Yesterday, we got down to the river for a walk and it seemed devastated. Trees and limbs down, shrubs and bushes and undergrowth lay flat on the ground. Two days earlier while walking there, we had found broken blue eggshells from newly hatched robins on the ground. In a couple of those spots, I don't even see the trees they might have come from anymore...nor do I see how the mamas could have kept 9 inches of snowfall from their tiny featherless babies with no leaves to help shield them yet sprouted....damn climate change. We did see a number of hummingbirds out and about yesterday, so hopefully there are enough blooms left on the trees and bushes to keep them fed for a while.
Two days earlier, in the warm sun, we saw multitudes of the little garter snakes I love so much sunning themselves in the warmest spots. Yesterday, we saw little dead snakes everywhere, frozen or drowned in the meltoff. I know you all don't love my little green garters like I do, but it really was quite heartbreaking for me. They always make my heart beat so fast and fierce. My Grandma used to catch them with me when I was a kid in her garden. We'd feel their smooth skin, talk gently, and lay them back down in the warm-turned earth and watch them slide away.
They are a little bit like Love to me, my little green garters. Love and warm-turned soil, dusty raspberries fresh from the vine, blue-veined, dirt-stained fingers showing me which are weeds to pull and which are the sweet carrot greens, the smell of roses....

Michael spent a fair amount of time gently lifting snow from my flower garden, hoping to save my blooms. He's so good, right? The tulips, daffies, hyacinths and bluebonnets faired pretty well....the leapard's bane, one of our favorites, may be toast.
Well, coffee is done now. I suppose I should get on down the road and get my groceries...
talk to y'all later, eh?


11 comments:

Olly said...

Eemer looks like she loves the snow.

I have a lot of bulbs randomly planted where we are going to be putting a garage in the back yard. On Friday I almost brought some in the house to put in a vase, but thought no, they cheer up the back a bit. Saturday? They were flat!

Biddie said...

I hate to see anything die, so I know what you mean about the lil snakes.
I can't believe how crazy this weather is. I am in shorts again today and you are walking in the snow. Aren't those of us in Ontario usually the ones walking thru the snow in April?
I hope that you can save your flowers..

lexiloo said...

crazy weather! we have gotten snow the last three days, it all melts by 9am but it has been so cold all day/night. hope it feels like spring again soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. If we ever think we are in control, nature will set us straight. Although I feel we are the culprits of our climate issues. We are having weather in the 70's the last few days. The daffodils and hyacinths are blooming, and the tulips are just about ready. My little Dogwood is starting to open tonight. Last year this time, just as the tulips were open, we had a cold snap with snow. I know just how you feel.

I have a warm spot in my heart for the little garter snakes also. They remind me of my dad. He showed me how to pick them up. I used to bring them home and keep them in an aquarium just long enough to study them for awhile.

That Michael is a good guy. Better keep him around. They are hard to find.

Hope all is well and you have some good weather now. I'd send you some of mine if I could!

Heidi the Hick said...

I'm sorry about the snow. I mean, I honestly didn't send it to you, I would not do that! It's just that winter was sooo long here, and I feel sorry for you that you got another blast of it!

Yvonne said...

That's so sad about the snakes and baby birds. ;(
Hummingbirds are so amazing, such feisty little creatures. I have quite a few that visit my feeder. (They're kind of like pets to me since we can't have pets in my building.)

Michael Colvin said...

That's such a shame about the poor little creatures.

Val Cox said...

and I thought spring was just around the corner for you! Great photos anyway!

captain corky said...

How ridiculous that you're still getting snow. Winter be gone!

ldbug said...

They got a spring snow in Montana too . But we're used to it there, the weather changes on a dime in Montana. I remember an August snow one year when I was a kid!

Gardenia said...

I hope lots of cherries make it to beautiful rich red ripeness despite this -

The dogs are so cute in the snow - they look like sweet animals