Monday, December 03, 2007

Rain's Christmas Questions....


1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Either/or....I hate wrapping gifts because as a kid, my mom made me wrap everyone's gifts(yes, including my own), but I love watching the way different people UNWRAP gifts...

2. Real tree or artificial? I am 39 years old and having my first tree of my own this year(which we will buy from Rain's son's scout troup), real. As a kid, always very real and very Charlie Brown Christmas-like.

3. When do you put up the tree? I think they go on sale on Friday!!! WOOT WOOT!

4. When do you take the tree down? I assume once the cat has fairly well mangled it.

5. Do you like eggnog? nope, and after making countless eggnog lattes while working in coffee shops, I can barely even stand the smell

6. Favourite gift received as a child? Anything Breyer

7. Do you have a Nativity scene? No, but I have this. Thanks Em and Barb!!!! Love it.

8. Hardest person to buy for? This is a trick question for me. I don't really buy gifts. You see, I have mentioned that I have a brother and a sister, right? Well, I HAD two brothers and our family has suffered with the loss of one for years. It changed EVERYTHING about our family. He died of childhood leukemia. It was a very long time ago and advances have been made in either curing or greatly prolonging life/quality of life through research, but there is so very far to go....and so, every year, money I might have spent on some otherwise soon forgotten gifts for my family goes here. And this year, here, as well. NOBODY in my family needs anything as much as these children need to come home healthy. Please consider whatever charity is closest to your heart this year. There is so much TRUE NEED in this world.

9. Easiest person to buy for?My family, see above.

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Too many to name...honestly.

11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Both...postage from Canada to the states is nearly a dollar per card!!!! That's insanity.

12. Favourite Christmas Movie? Charlie Brown Christmas

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? See questions 8 and 9.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Yes, I do regift but put real thought into it. I don't regift bad gifts(like neon teeshirts or too small white cable knit sweaters), but if I receive something cool that doesn't "work" for me or I already have and I know somebody who can love it/appreciate it? Damn right.

15. Favourite thing to eat at Christmas? Turkey, stuffing, potatoes and cinammon rolls(mom's recipe done better)

16 Clear lights or colored on the tree? Coloured

17. Favourite Christmas song? Here

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? We're staying home this year...there's a first for everything.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Yes, I can, can you?

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? I don't think we have either...maybe the cat will be up there!

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? One on Christmas Eve, the rest on Christmas...when I did gifts.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Everyone's thinking that it's all about the gifts...

23. Best thing about this time of year? When people remember it's all about the magic...the yearly reminder that what we should be looking for is Peace on Earth.

9 comments:

emily said...

i want the too small white cable knit sweater!!!!

dilling said...

hahahaha....well, both of them(from the same person, two years in a row!) are probably STILL at the Goodwill Store in Olympia...next time I go home, I will look.

Biddie said...

Oooh, this was awesome!
I love eggnog, btw. Don't even need booze in it!
I think that you have the right idea when it comes to gifts. Too often we are concerned with giving and getting, when there are so many people out there that are just trying to survive.
BTW, there is an award waiting for you over at my place :)

Heidi the Hick said...

Big invisible hugs to you!

katy said...

thank you for a lovely post Dilling x
this year i have decided not to buy christmas cards, the money i would have spent on cards and postage i am giving to NSPCC

Olly said...

Cat for a tree topper? That's good. It's always fun with a kitten's first Christmas. I'd secure that tree to something...

Hey, I finally started a blog...would like input!

Michael Colvin said...

Your first Christmas tree of your own? What fun!

And you are right, it is not just about the gifts... it's mostly about THE FOOD!

Anonymous said...

John and I are overwhelmed that you have thought of Drew. He and his family are very special to us. You would love his mom. She has the same fight in her as you do. I think you are kindred spirits. I hope you are keeping up with their journal as she has been posting daily to keep us informed of his treatment and progress. An amazing lot has happened in the short month since they noticed a small bump on his head. I just can't thank you enough. Both of us. For me, this is Christmas. Thank you.

Gawilli

dilling said...

Gawilli,
I wish it could be more...or, more to the point, I wish it was unneeded...