Friday, December 07, 2007

Photo Assignment Nanaimo: Snow

Well, snow is just one of those things, I think. You either LOVE it... or you DON"T. Except for me, because I am a Libra and I can't really make such a strong decision...at least not about snow.
Thing is, it's beautiful...I can see that. It's scary, too, though. We were out running errands when the snow started last weekend. We were trying to get home before it really got going...but it got going in a big, fast way here. No messing around this time.
So, we got home and parked the car and left it, so our walks were just around the neighbourhood here...and the snow just continued falling. It wasn't easy to take my "Precious " out into this weather while the big, fat, wet flakes kept falling. I am still in that very protective stage of new love.
Everything looked "pristine," in that tried and true wonderment of a winter wonderland...well, not everything, really. But, most things.


For a little while, anyway.






The thing about snow on the west coast is this...it won't stay pretty long. Hell, sometimes not even for five minutes. Our snow is wet and heavy, backbreaking to shovel...because all it really wants is to be RAIN!!! And when the rain starts, there is a sneaky layer of slick slush beneath the crust of snow, waiting to take you down...hard. Overnight, that may freeze and then you should just stay home. Really. Don't go out.




Moments like these will not last....and did not last. Get out and enjoy it when you can here. Quick. Two days of heavy snow turned to downpour and record high temperatures. All that snow mixed with all that rain and all that warm weather created flooding here...and have you seen the news about Washington state? Holy cow. We are places designed to take water, but we were no match for this storm.






It did paint a pretty picture for a minute, though.






Another thing about a west coast winter snowfall is that we don't have enough of it to be "good" at it. I know we sound whiney out here when it snows, but snow takes practice.







Somebody's moving day today. Hey, Em, what does this photo remind you of? See how snow can really ruin your day?








No, I mean, really ruin your day! Did I mention we don't have enough snow around here to practice? We can't drive in this stuff!!! And even if one person CAN, twenty others can't, so it doesn't really matter.











Someone drove/slid into a power pole up the street here...and two transformers blew. Yikes. We were a little worried about having no heat(our pellet stove IS electrically powered!), but the power was restored a couple of hours later. Thank goodness. We were lucky.
We've had blissfully blue skies the past few days and the drier weather has helped lower the water levels. Dog walks at the Nanaimo River were astonishing this week, watching huge trees rush past us down the river, roots and all. The water was roaring, ten feet higher than normal on the "high side" of the river, while the "lowlands" were simply gone and the trees seemed to be growing straight up out of the water.
All of this is under water now. Incredible. Literally overnight. Scary.
But, it's sunny and blue again today...cold, but sunny and blue. I gotta get out for dogwalks in about fifteen minutes. Michael and I head down to Victoria today to see the immigration attorney again. Lord, I will be happy when all this is done. Broke, but happy. Wink. So, better go eat some toast and put on my shoes, grab my camera and head out. Have a good weekend.











12 comments:

emily said...

at least they went with budget, instead of evil UHAUL!!!

i miss you so freakin' bad, soul sistah.

can we talk on the phone soon????

Olly said...

I'll have to post about how hard the rest of Canda laughs at us on the coast when we are crippled by a little snow.

Good luck in Victoria with all the immigration stuff.

Michael Colvin said...

That bench shot is really cool. shame that all that prettyness turns to yuk so quickly though.

Good luck with immigration from me too!

raine said...

love your window, and how did you manage to get a balloon in the snow? How? Great set of photos. I want that bench shot for my bench collection!

raine said...

How was your trip to victoria??

dilling said...

Rain, that balloon was just tied up in Bowen Park...all by itself in the snow. How sad is that?!?
Victoria was what it was, drive in, sign all final paperwork for immigration and to declare Michael and I as legal and binding common-law partners(such romantics we are, eh?) after eight years together! Everything is going to be filed next week with the proper authorities. All I need is my physical(ugh) which I should pass with relatively hovering, if not flying, colours...and then, as they say, Bob's your uncle. Fingers crossed, anyway.
Then a quick bite to eat at the Noodle Bowl, and back on the road again. Home just in time to watch the line up and take off of the Christmas Truck Parade out front of our house.

dilling said...

Olly, I am sure they do... I laugh at us and I am from the coast. We suck in the snow.

georgia strait said...

I really like the window shot! The colours are wonderful. I like the bench, too, and the candles. Was the accident right near your house?

dilling said...

Georgia, that window is our garage...the accident was on kennedy a couple blocks from here...I hadn't lit those candles in about a year...

Anonymous said...

I think playground equipment in the winter looks so lonely. As always, your eye's view is grand. Our snow is still around, although it's early and not bound to last. I'm afraid we will get all of our snow now and have a green Christmas. Boo!

P.S. I hate that Blogger won't let me use my own link anymore.

Gawilli

FOUR DINNERS said...

We hardly ever get any worth mentioning now. When I was a kid oop north we got snowed in every year. Magic!!!

Rick Rockhill said...

what beautiful photos! I love the snow....when its up in the mountains. I can't handle it anymorenow that I live in the desert