Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas: Inside Out.

First of all, it is Friday before the holidays so many of you may not be around again until after, so let me take this moment to wish you all a very Merry Christmas. Peace on Earth. Goodwill towards all men. And now, Photo Assignment Nanaimo : Christmas, Inside and Out. I have lots of photos so I will try to rein in my wordiness. It will be my gift to you.
Inside Christmas...it's really just my tree. We don't have a lot of decorations and all our "gifts" arrive on Boxing day, when we open the door to friends for turkey and trimmings and wine and desserts and... Well, you get the idea. If you are in the area, honestly, please stop by. Honest. You'll be welcome.


My ornaments are mostly souvenirs from travels, my travels and those of my friends. When someone wants to bring me something from somewhere they are going, I ask for a keychain. Then when I put them up, I can have a special thought for them each year. Or more than one thought, if they travel a lot....or buy lots of keychains!!! It's like a guaranteed Auld Lang Syne...and a very encompassing thing to behold, both geographically and spiritually.


This one is from New Zealand but reminds me of when the Brady Bunch went to Hawaii.



These are real ornaments. My good friend bought them for me the year I decided to participate in life again. Kind of fitting, eh?




I love this dragonfly...and the Eiffel Tower from a friend who visited there.





One of my dearest friends made this dreamcatcher for me while I was in Colorado. I miss her like mad and though we have drifted a bit in the past few years, I still consider her one of my bestest. I like seeing this up. Auld Lang Syne, see?





Navajo Ghost Beads.








This little Snoopy with the mailbox arrived this year from Biddie...in my mailbox. Cool, eh? The other little disobediant Snoopy with the hockey stick is an ornament I got the first year Michael(my Canadian hockey player) and I were together. Did I mention that my tree leans to the left?







Actually, I think the whole house leans to the left. The teddy bear there, Michael's mom made me from an old thrift store coat. A bobblehead Christmas Beagle...cuz what's Christmas without a beagle at your Charlie Brown Christmas Tree? Did I mention that we got this tree from Rain's kids' scout troop?









Christmas outside...the mall parking lot. Miserable.











Christmas Tree Jail.










Sometimes the only colour you can find in a west coast winter(besides grey) is the decorations.













This is Christmas both Inside and Out. The truck parade is lining up outside my window. Woot woot.













Yup. The Christmas TRUCK Parade.














MMMMM....gingerbread latte, anyone?














Eem-er was intrigued by one entry in particular.....

















this one....

















and that's it. Gotta go walk the dog, make an second appearance at Hick Chick's Christmas Party, run a couple of errands and get an early dinner started so I can send Michael and the rest of the boys out to see the Clippers play Victoria tonight(an early present for us gals!).
















18 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

My God, your tree is SO cool! I love it! Merry Christmas!

raine said...

I love that Dragonfly! Supercoolio pictures.

Anonymous said...

Who is randomly decorating trees along the Island Higway between Nanaimo & Courtney? I've seen a few now, I think it is a great idea.

Anonymous said...

'Highway' sorry.

Olly said...

Cool decorations.

So what does fishbone think of the Christmas tree? At that age it's one gigantic cat toy!

This was the first year we didn't go to that parade. I guess when your ten year old says "nah, it's kinda lame" it means your off the hook for standing outside shivering on a Friday night.

Biddie said...

Great tree! I love a tree with sentimental decorations. The perfect martha Stewart thing is just not ME.
I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas :)

dilling said...

Hey Chilled! Howz the new digs?!? Haven't been to Courtenay so haven't seen the decorations...
olly, the tree is up off the floor and she hasn't seemed to pay any attention to it yet. thank goodness.
biddie...i love that my decorations, too. I am glad I finally had a tree to put them on!

georgia strait said...

I like your eclectic tree! I do love the dragonfly..... very neat...

Anonymous said...

The new digs are fantastic. Just as close to downtown without the lunacy. I suspect there is an unofficial "cage" for the miscreates(sp?) in Nanaimo? I just moved outside of the 'gate' and noticed a world of difference. Even my boss has noticed a difference in me; a full nights sleep, no yelling at 3 in the morning, etc. Everything our fearless leaders take for granted, I suppose? I'd like to bring my personal example before the city council one day. If they choose to do nothing, than they should post warnings!!! LOL!!!!

Those randomly decorated trees are not just up island. If you are on the bypass, going south past the Malaspina cutoff, before the split south OR to Cedar, you will see a randomly decorated tree in the middle of the median.

I think it is cool and wonder who does this?

dilling said...

Chilled...there are trees like that on the Coquihalla, too. I love it.
Some people really got the spirit, don't they?

katy said...

your decorations are fantastic so are the wonderful memories they bring you every year WOW

Heidi the Hick said...

wonderful! I'm so glad you participate in life.

Hugs to you and the family!

Victoria said...

Blassings and love.

Val Cox said...

great decorations, I love the 'christmas tree jail', image and caption, very funny! Val

Green Wellies said...

Honestly, I think that's exactly how a tree should be decorated...each ornament having a special meaning, otherwise it's just stuff.
Have a very happy holiday and I send warm hugs across the water to you and Michael!
Cheers, Barb

captain corky said...

Remember all the bad luck the Brady's got from that taboo idol? I cried for three weeks after seeing Greg wiped out.

Merry Christmas! Please don't forget to drink your Ovaltine.

FOUR DINNERS said...

Fantastic deccies!!!!!

Have a great Crimbo babe x

Drink and be merry eh?

Rick Rockhill said...

wow, really nice ornaments..thanks for the private tour!!!

Merry Christmas