Tuesday, December 04, 2007

"Neither snow,

nor rain, nor heat,
nor gloom of night,


stays these crackheads from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."***
You know how when it snows everything is supposed to look prettier? Well, Crackheads, Dealers, and Vultures do not look prettier. It's all still an ugly mess...ruining our clean, white winter wonderland.
In the snowstorm we had over the weekend, traffic was pretty much at a standstill. At some points, it was like white-out conditions due to the wind picking up not only the falling snow, but the fallen snow, and blowing it around in great gusts of fury. BUT still, there was one path worn down to bare earth....the alleyway to the Crackhouse on Milton Street.
You know, the city seized property from the Hell's Angel's not too long ago...something to do with property laws and illicit money....the homeowner LIVES in this CRACKHOUSE on MILTON STREET that backs onto the alley between VICTORIA and HECATE....and ALL of the neighbours know the address, but I don't want to get into trouble here so I won't list it...but(and follow my logic here), if the City of Nanaimo is willing to seize property from the Hell's Angel's, what is stopping them from seizing property from just some Joe Schmoe crack dealer and bicycle stealing chop shop? You see where I am going with this? And if they don't want this property? It could ALWAYS be donated, after the fact, to Habitat for Humanity. Surely, if things like this happened, you could ensure re-election for quite some time...don't you think?
By the way, if you live down here...don't just lock up your bikes, BRING THEM INSIDE. Trust me on this.
***as the daughter of a retired U.S. postie, I do not take that oath lightly, nor in vain...it's just that no matter what the weather, the posties arrive with the mail and the crackheads arrive for their high...and I do believe that I CAN do without my mail for a day or two...just saying.
and also this...there will be snow pictures on Friday, as part of Photo Assignment Nanaimo....do not fear.

10 comments:

Olly said...

Is the quietness starting to wear off on your street? I doubt the crack/meth heads even notice the weather let alone anything else around them.

Did you enjoy the snow? I wish I could get in on your Nanaimo photo challenges, but our camera itself is not up for the challange. Maybe it's not too late for a letter to Santa! Hmmmm......

dilling said...

Well, it's all relative...it's been "quiet" except for the amount of traffic to this crackhouse...I guess we all thought with the "crackdown" this crackhouse would have been shut down, too. Sadly, we were mistaken. It's funny how much police traffic there is tonight down that alley with the Mayor coming to speak at our Neighbourhood meeting. Go figure.

Heidi the Hick said...

Keep the pressure on.

My god you must be tired.

raine said...

How did the neighbourhood meeting go? I think you should get a loudspeaker and play the Bowie and Cosby carole and give them all Noah's Arks and maybe they will have a life altering moment and head straight to rehab then come back and volunteer cleaning up your street.

dilling said...

Heidi...yeah...

Rain, the meeting did not descend into ranting madness, though some of it was all so very "deja vu," you know...how we are supposed to make our properties safer, prettier, cuz that dissuades the element we are seeking to dissuade...but there is not money to put in curbs and gutters, beautifying the city owned streets...go figure...and stuff like that...too much to go into here.

Olly said...

Isn't it crazy how when you live in the south end of town the city treats residents like dirt?

- Nice sidewalks and boulevards with shrubberies in the north. Few sidewalks and lots of ditches in the south.

- Decent roads North. Pot-hole city south.

I could go on - but the thing that really gets me this last weekend was the absence of snow plows here. But while in the North I saw six of them (5 on side streets yet).

Oh - We do have more soup kitchens and homeless shelters though so I guess we shouldn't bitch.

dilling said...

Olly, I think some of that is STATISTICALLY speaking, the Southend doesn't vote. I think they will find a change there with all the new people coming in. But it is sad that the City thinks that just cuz it's a demographically "poorer" neighbourhood that it may as well look like crap, too. As if the "WORKING POOR"(I might add) shouldn't mind a shabbier environment...city officials should come inside some of the houses and gardens down here. They would be dumbfounded to find we keep order, have pretty things, beautify, etc.

Michael Colvin said...

If the mayor is attending your local meeting then I suppose all your efforts are now getting some attention. It's a step forward... hopefully?

dilling said...

Tod, hopefully....there were several council members there(though some I could have done without), and the RCMP guys, too. It was a decent enough meeting, there was just a lot of rhetoric that we have heard before...some new stuff, some good stuff, but so much of the same old stuff of what "can't get done, what is a Provincial Problem, what the private citizens are supposed to do, how they really UNDERSTAND what we're going through" yadda yadda... the most annoying thing... "I don't know how you live there, I couldn't..." ARGH!!!! That's the whole fricking POINT!!!!!

Anonymous said...

"I don't know how you live there, I couldn't..."

How assanine is that? Did you sock them one? Unbelievable.

Gawilli