Tuesday, June 19, 2007

One third of a city lot....

That's how much room we have to work with...throw a house in there and there isn't much left. Not really. But magic works in small places, too, and when I see these treasures bloom(treasures we were a part of because you should have seen this yard when we moved in) I am thrilled! No need to chase back and forth like the waves.
The same water which ebbs is the same water that flows.
No point turning back to get water
When it's flowing around you in all directions
The heart of the Buddha and the people of the world...
Where is there any difference?

Heart Of The Buddha - A Poem by Hsu Yun



Did you know that Columbine are wildflowers that grow like weeds in some places? I have to buy mine here, though they did make it over the winter...I feel triumphant! And? I have found some wild ones out on my dog walks this year!

We didn't plant these, but they started coming up in bunches this year. Foxgloves are one of my favorites and have always reminded me of growing up around the rainforests of the Pacific Northwest.


I took so many photos I didn't know which ones to use...so check out flickr later.



We have a few colours of daylilies planted around the pond, but so far only these yellow ones have shown their faces.





This is the pink flowering dogwood that I got Michael for his birthday last year. Last year it had only a few small blooms but this year is delighting us no end. It's gorgeous.






And the roses....there were several untended rosebushes when we bought this house. We had to remove some, but left three because my Grandma loved, loved, loved roses. She had a large rose garden outside her little cabin by the water. I can remember her tiny form among the tall, thorny bushes, talking gently to them about their beauty and how special they were to her, each flower on each bush a blessing.
She grew up substainance farming, living off what came out of the ground. I think she took great joy in just growing beautiful things in her later life. She could make anything grow. She was magic in a small space, too.


It is good to remember these important details before they fall away, like so many petals. Hello, out there, Grandma. I miss you.




My favorite this year has been the snapdragons. Some seem so elegant and lush, saturated in richness, grand....





and others just look like someone tie-dyed my garden.
Of course there is neighbourhood news, and I still haven't finished my trip to Washington, yet. There is still Seattle to cover, a lunch with friends, some odds and ends of Olympia, but I was so delighted with my front garden that I had to take some photos and share some "good stuff" with you all. Hope you don't mind.








7 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh you really are out to get me, aren't ya!!!

Your words about your Grandma made me think of mine too! They were both Mennonite (of course) and wore dresses and coverings. One wore flowered prints, one wore only solid colours. They weren't fancy at all. They were modest and sensible.

They both loved their flower gardens!!!

Thanks for sharing your garden with us.

Biddie said...

Beautiful.
Our garden was beyond gorgeous last year, and this year, nothing. I am so bummed out. Thanks for sharing yours. :)

Anonymous said...

I was never able to grow foxgloves and now they are cropping up in the most unexpected places. So far, the deer have left my sweet peas alone (touch wood), but one stood in Betty's garden and nibble every last bud on her rose bush before heading to the honeysuckle. She said she didn't have the heart to shoo it away...it had two tiny fawns with her!

Michael Colvin said...

These are all in your garden? Astonishing! They put my garden to shame though I did plant some dogwood last week...I hope it looks as good as yours!

katy said...

jealous i am, i have not got green fingers, i have plant pots and just throw in some plants and hope for the best!
your garden is a dream

Anonymous said...

Oh Dilling, I just love your pictures. I'm off to Flicker to see if there is a picture of the Dogwood tree. I have not seen one with petals shaped that way.

Your garden reminds me of the one my mother use to have here. I followed the entire length of the drive and into the back yard. It was lovely, full of snapdragons and lilies, bells of ireland, bleeding hearts...I sure do enjoy your picture.

Crafty Missus said...

ducky, i been reading but not commenting... you knows why...
i love your garden, i can't wait to bask in it, i am needing a warm garden right now...