Monday, June 11, 2007

Most of the time....

we spar...verbally. We know secrets about each other. We know the soft spots, the old and awkward wounds ,but choose to let them go. What use are they anyway? We have a lifetime of things in common...and we love each other anyway. One of my oldest friends decided what he wanted to do for the rest of his life and went back to school three years ago. That's quite a decision for folks our age. We're not college-age kids...he's raising college-age kids, for goodness sake(well one college age kid but the other just keeps getting older, too!) that, despite the years and the miles between us, I consider family, just as I consider all his family as mine.
Every one of us should have a friend out there that means this much... maybe you are lucky enough(like me) to have more than one... one person who doesn't make you cringe when you think of the pain of your growth in adolescence, who made you think you absolutely were worth something... who may have, once, saved your life without even knowing it.(thank you).

I recall grown-up feelings for my friend from teen-hood, childhood. I knew, even then, that he would be important in my life. I didn't know how. I just knew... and I hoped we would know each other forever. I thought we already had, in fact. So far, I have been lucky enough to have that be true.


So, when I received that invitation to his Graduation from Lewis and Clark's Law School this Spring, how could I do anything but make my way down? How could I not cheer on the accomplishments of a true, good friend? How could not appreciate the effort of himself and his family to overcome the everyday trials to merit something so important and fulfilling? How could I not come down to stand up for someone who has done so many important things in his life...some of which he may not even be aware of?



I am so thankful to have been there. Thankful for the invitation. Truly. The pride I felt. The love. I adore him. I cannot imagine where I would be in this life without him...
Good luck and much love to you and yours.
Hope to be seeing you soon....just after your Bar Exam!!!! Drinks on me!




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

True blue, nestled in the heart friends...where would we be without them?

dilling said...

nowhere important

Victoria said...

*bursts into tears*

nicely said dilling

katy said...

well done to him and yes it sure is great to have those special freinds

Anonymous said...

You are blessed to have a friend like this.

I admire anyone who has the guts to stop, see something different, and then move in that direction. Congratulations to him!

Heidi the Hick said...

I don't even know your friend and I'm proud of him!!!

katy said...

hi Dilling, the bird is for Cappy, he is just a friend who i work with who also has a blog, his wife is buying him a parrot it is still an egg but he hopes to have it as soon as

Biddie said...

Congrats to your friend. life is nothing without those special friends...........

Principle of Vice said...

Your words remind me why I am so very glad you were there, and that you have been and are still a part of my life.
We are still planning an Expotition to Canada in August.
Also, as for deciding what I "wanted to do for the rest of [my] life", I can still change my mind, right?

dilling said...

absolutely!