Thursday, February 05, 2009

What's better than a ride at Disneyland?

A ride on the U_Dog bus and walkies with Rob. Here, let me show you. WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Everybody outta the bus, now!

And they're off.....



Who's that good girl? NOT! My dog was rotten this day...don't let her cuteness or the fact that I dress her in pink fool you. She was not one of Charlie's Angels today...or my angel....or Rob's, for that matter. But you know what???? I know that about her. Eem-er is a dog with issues...with behaviours. There is no miracle cure. U-Dog has helped out tremendously.....









but when you "rescue" a dog(not that I did, I merely adopted a dog somebody else took a beating for! That's the guy who rescued her!), and they come with all this stuff you don't know about or how to address....it's not the end of the world. Find some help. Nothing worth anything happens overnight. Be HONEST with with your trainer. If you don't know what is what with your crazy canine, then say so. But if you do? It means ALL THE DIFFERENCE. If your trainer tells you HOW to do something, then do it. For real. That's what you're paying them for, after all. Isn't it?












Seven out of ten dogs(that's 70 percent!) are not with their original owners/adopters. 70 percent. Those are the ones still breathing air. Isn't that completely, irrationally insane? Sometimes? Shit happens. Dogs take off. They bark. They chew. They sometimes shit on the floor. They follow their noses, they can't think their way through a stressful situation, instinct takes over, previous crappy life bullshit confounds everything....and we(the large-brained humans) all have to take a step back...how do we cope?
Really, I hardly ever learn anything the first time around and my brain is way bigger than a beagle's. So folks, please!!!!
Take just a moment before you adopt that darling puppy. Can you devote 10 to 18 years? No matter what? If you "rescue" a dog.....er, what I truly mean is Adopt a dog from a rescue situation, are you willing to do the homework? If that dog comes with issues, and any reputable rescue organization SHOULD tell you.....are you willing, able to deal with it?






I surely had no clue...after raising and caring for my own first beloved beagle, and, finally, losing her, I surely had no clue about "rescue." All I knew is that I needed to love a dog...and go for walkies...and there is no dog for me, other than hounds....so...here is Eem-er. I am the larger brain...I asked for help and must accept it. Sometimes, even with all the best intentions, she is going to be a dog. Gosh darn it.








8 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

I feel the same way. My cats are a pain at times and the vet bills are expensive now they are old. But, it is all part of the bargain when we got them as cute kitties.

I love the doggie bus!

Olly said...

That guy from U-Dog must love waking up every day and going to work.

And I agree with you and Michael. Pets are a commitment. I hate hearing about abused or abandoned animal. Could strangle their owners! But if I had my way - I'd be living in a house full of cats and dogs. Sadly, my husband won't let me fulfill my dream of becoming a crazy cat lady...

Anonymous said...

I too hate the idea that some people can be so nasty to animals, i can't visit dog homes it sends me into floods of tears.

As the saying goes 'A dog is for life not just for Christmas'
Eem-er is a lucky girl.
I never knew that 70% of dogs are not with their original owners, I find that very upsetting.

The Preacherman said...

Most of our cats are pyschotic. Hissing Sid attacks on sight - apart from me. I have to clear him out of the living room when people come round - unless I don't like them of course...;-)

Anyone who will take on a dog or cat or gerbil with problems is a diamond.

You are a diamond. x

Anonymous said...

Ah, lucky Eem-er. And lucky Dilling.

Heidi the Hick said...

70%??? Wow. I can't imagine my pug being with any other family but mine. Sometimes we look at our cat and wonder what the heck the first year of his life must have been like. He always seems so pleased that he ended up with us. I wouldn't have predicted I'd have him for 18 years. He amazes me.

So the training is going well? Is she off the leash in that picture? Yay! It's worth sending her to a trainer if you get a happier life with her. And it's so good that you are willing to accept that she's got damage you might never figure out.

She's so gosh darn cute.

I'm like Olly. I'm one critter away from being a crazy cat lady!

dilling said...

heidi...she actually disappeared this day....she took off after something and some kindly person picked her up and took her home, so we don't know if she would have actually come back to us....i'd like to think so, but we are two steps back on that whole"off-leash" thing now...and she was doing so well!

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh Eemer.

Good thing she knows her phone number?