Tuesday, December 16, 2008

brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Michael and I took Eem-er up to Harewood Mines for a walk yesterday. Holy Frostbite, Batman. Seriously. There were no other tracks through the snow up there yet. We thought we would be blazing the first trail. Sweet!
We hiked less than a third of our normal walk...which, really, is none too strenuous to begin with. The snow was deep and cold. Beneath it, ice and mushy puddles.

My feet would feel so heavy and when I would down, there would be a huge ball of ice stuck to my shoelaces. My jeans were soaked to my knees. Eem-er started the walk in her red, sheepskin-lined coat(don't laugh, that little dog just can't take this weather), but not far into the walk, it was doing nothing but holding a layer of snow and ice next to her skin. Once the coat came off, she was ready to roll....

for about five minutes. This poor little girl just can't take it....



Look at how miserable she is...she just STOPPED walking. When I went to see if she was alright, she literally climbed up me to get out of the snow. That's a pretty desperate thing for her, since she really HATES being carried. There was ice between her poor toes and she just shook and shook. What else could I do? I carried her...until I fell, plunging her, myself and the camera into the snow. Nice.




So, Michael dried the camera(whew) and I tried to warm my aching hands(didn't have gloves on), Eem-er decided to try walking on her own...for about 45 seconds. Then she stopped walking again, waited for me to come to her and crawled into my arms again, even with the knowledge that I had just dumped her in the snow a minute earlier.
By the time we reached the car, I couldn't use my fingers anymore...so cold they felt like they were burning.
We all hunkered around the pellet stove when we got home...we must get a bigger pillow with room for everyone.





8 comments:

jAMiE said...

Love the snow but feel bad for the puppy...i hope you got nice and warm when you all got back home!

We are getting some snow here tonight, i'm SO happy.

Michael Colvin said...

Poor Eem-er! I guess all that lovely snow is a lot ickier when you're so close to the ground. Cool pics though!

Heidi the Hick said...

You need long johns!

Not sure if they make them in her size though, poor little thing!

Yvonne said...

Aw Eem-er! That is one woeful looking pup!

Biddie said...

Wow. It must be really cold there!
Ruby will walk for about 1/2 a block in the winter and then she wants to be picked up. Bumble, on the other hand, will not only walk in the snow, he rolls, jumps, and even sleeps in it.
Em needs a snow suit. No kidding. Kayla wants one for Ruby and Bum. They are crazy looking, but they just might work...

Anonymous said...

Poor Eem-er! (And what were you thinking not wearing gloves, my dear!) It's beautiful but it's a pain in the arse, isn't it?

You want to see a dog who absolutely LOVES the snow? Check this out (2.5 minutes) — pretty amazing: http://tinyurl.com/24pfba

Michael Colvin said...

Merry Christmas Dilling. We crossed paths at Heidi's party. Damn stupid timezones...

raine said...

Isn't it awful? I'm ao ready to be done with it. But I like your frosty pics!