Wednesday, November 26, 2008

walkies, anyone?

It's cold...the time of year that gets these two sharing the bed under the pellet stove again. This old house is never quite warm enough...at least for me. Maybe I should get a bigger pillow and join them in the radiant pellet stove heat. I have had to scrape my windshield a time or two now. Ick. But, it's also that time of year, that when the sun does come out, it is deliciously crisp and clear, and everything seems to be in sharp focus. Shadows are perfect, the play of light on water, the feel of the sun on skin is just warm enough...of course, there isn't much skin exposed.
There is that most particular shade of blue in an early winter sky. You know the one I mean? It was meant to be the exact perfect colour for setting off these red berries. Whew. Beautiful, eh?

The greens of the mosses are at their most succulent, too, with all the rain that's fallen. With all the leaves off the trees, the moss doesn't have to compete to be seen right now. It has all the green-y glory it could ever hope for.


The funny thing about walking Morrell Wildlife Sanctuary is that the only wildlife I really see there is ducks or squirrels...or sometimes people's wild kids and dogs. I guess there are bears out there right now, but I didn't see anything...except the ducks.



But ducks are enough,





and these guys are enough, to make for a great walk in the sun.
Okay then, how about that? We finally went for a walk together again.
Thanks for coming along with me.




7 comments:

CindyDianne said...

Thanks for taking us along on a walkie again! I've missed then without realizing.

CindyDianne said...

them, even.

geez!

Heidi the Hick said...

Yay, walkies!

Gotta watch out for those wild kids.

I really like the idea of getting a pillow bed large enough for the dog and cat and you at the same time. I'm being warmed by a pug right now actually. My mom's last house cat was a deformed little Burmese with stubby bowed legs. He used to curl up and sleep UNDER the woodstove. We were always afraid we'd find nothing but a pile of ash but eventually he'd come out and stretch and give us his scratchy growly meow. And he was one hot little potato!

Lily said...

Beautiful!

I wonder if you've ever come across my wild kids! Ha. We're out there quite a bit and don't see a lot of wildlife either thanks to my dog, I think. Even the ducks move away quickly because they surely know that he would eat them if he could.

I wish we had a wood stove or fireplace in this house!

Michael Colvin said...

Thanks for taking us along. Your pellet stove sounds so cosy. At this time of year I miss watching logs burn in the fire from our old house

Anonymous said...

Ahh, gorgeous! Those blue crisp skies are pretty rare now (although we've had a few now and then—unusual!) And boy are they appreciated! All that color makes such a difference.

jAMiE said...

I enjoyed that, thank you...i sorely needed some fresh air and sunshine!