Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Careful what you wish for........

Yup...after a good long run of unemployment, I go back to work next week. Eek. I hope I can handle it. It's not like I have hated all the time off. It's not like I haven't been busy enough.... but it will be nice to have my own money again, somewhere to be on certain days, feel like I contribute something besides clean laundry and dishes...I imagine it will be a shock to all of our systems, Michael's, mine and Eem-er's....even the neighbours. Kitty? Probably couldn't care less. But I think the rest of us have all gotten pretty used to me being home, the house clean, dinner done, shopping on a schedule, long daily dogwalks for Eem-er and Eem-er's friends, lots of playtime for Eem-er, taxi services for the 'Hood, etc. Might not be so much camping this summer(although with this weather, who cares?). The times are changing.
I am the newest employee at Piper's Meats, and I am pretty excited about it. It is a local meat and kitchenware shop. They provide antibiotic and growth hormone free meat from LOCAL farmers who only feed their animals a vegetarian diet(unlike me). It's where we shop. It is a choice we made quite a while ago to be conscious of how we impact the world around us, just as it impacts us. We support local businesses who support local farmers who, in turn, give us a product that I can have faith in...we all win. I like the people there. I like working for smaller companies. I like the idea of working somewhere I actually shop(unlike when I worked at Starbucks and drank my coffee at Batdorf and Bronson!!!). I think it's going to be a pretty good place to work and when Michael and I finally reach that small town life we want, it'll be one more marketable skill I will have to work with....and as I have learned from life in small towns, sometimes it requires a variety of marketable skills to keep yourself employed year round....

two days until k d lang............that's a good way to celebrate, isn't it?

10 comments:

Lily said...

Congrats on the job! I haven't shopped at Piper's before but I'm looking forward to trying it out now that I know the sell good local meat! I wonder if they would sell off cuts for pets?

dilling said...

allium, Eem-er is on the raw food diet and I buy her turkey necks, chicken backs and necks there, liver, etc...they U Dog is there a lot, too.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It sounds like a great — and mouth-watering — place to work!

Lily said...

Eem-er looks a tad smaller than my dog Oscar. Lately he's been eating chicken quarters, pork shoulder, turkey (I got 15 meals out of the last one), beef muscle meat usually with drumsticks or chicken backs for bone, fish offcuts and of course organ meat a couple/few times a week. Nice to meat (ha) another rawfeeder in the area!

raine said...

Yay! Congrats!!! I will have to start shopping there...(then I would get to see you too!) - can you believe I have never been in there? (Of course you can, I go to Starbucks every day...).

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh this is awesome!!!

I love the whole concept of that store. Everything is right about it.

You got the plan going on. It's all good.

Michael Colvin said...

Wow, that was quick!

Congratualtions! I hope I find a job I actually want to do as fast as that.

Christine said...

Congrats and I have a question about this raw food thing. Do you just put it in a bowl and let the dog walk around the house with a turkey neck or do you feed it outside. I have heard this is very healthy but I can't seem to figure out how it doesn't make a mess on the floors and the carpets with animal juices.

lexiloo said...

congratulations!

Olly said...

Great!!! Things are really looking up for you. Hope all goes well on your first day!