Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I've lost count of the days now....

but, eventually, we left Kaslo and hit the road again. We were officially on our way home now, though we were going to take our time getting there. It was sad to leave our friends...and the bears...and the beautiful space they all share. We followed our friend's directions to see the Kokanee spawning and maybe, just maybe, see a Grizzly Bear feasting on fish.
It was a beautiful drive, and though we hung around for quite a while, we did not see any Grizzlies....maybe next year, eh?

We did see lots of Kokanee....


lots and lots and lots of Kokanee. Did I mention lots? Of Kokanee? Like, lots...a whole lot...a big mess of fish. You have no idea. None. Really.



Later, we found ourselves on this lovely lake, Trout Lake...on the northern end of it. It was quiet and coming on time to find a place to stop for the night.





So we made a couple of stops to check out the surroundings, and take in the last warm rays of the afternoon.




We found an old, um, driveway? I do not know what else to call it. Yup. Let's call it a driveway, okay? So we drove on down it.







And here we found ourselves a private campground...not meaning privately owned but just plain private. Room for us and us alone. A beach, a dock, a firepit, a picnic table made from salvaged wood....someone industrious spends good time here in the summer. We thank them kindly for all their labour.






There was the remains of this old rock cabin here, hence the driveway, I suppose.








And a little barn or shed tucked back into the woods.









Pretty cool.











Okay...look at this...can you see what I see?











Look hard. Can you see it? It's called remoteness. Isolation. Wilderness. Wildness. Clarity.
Breathe it in.
You don't get this everyday.
Savour it.
Taste it.










Not a single house, not a single house light, not one car, not a headlight, or campfire, or boat, or camper, or tent...well, besides ours.
What a way to spend the night. Really. I can't begin to tell you.
We've only got a couple days left now.














11 comments:

captain corky said...

Amazing pics!!! It's clear now that I'm not on vacation, I'm just hanging out, but you clearly are on vacation. Very nice.

Biddie said...

OMG. What an anmazing place to hang out for a couple of days.
I'm surprised that you came home at all!

katy said...

i clicked on the photo, i looked and looked and looked, was looking for a bear, but couldn't see one, then i read on LOL
it looks like pure bliss there for sure

CindyDianne said...

I wanna be there. Now.

Heidi the Hick said...

ahhhhhhh

Is that a CARPET OF FISH?????? Crazy!

You know you have totally stoked my imagination with that little "private campground." the cabin foundation! The little barn! The absolute lack of another person or yard light or engine within sensory distance!!!!

(take me next time?)

FOUR DINNERS said...

I wanna be there now too.

For ever.

emily said...

i've seen salmon spawn, but never like that. that's insane!

i really like that campsite and i want to go sometime.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I long for quiet and I thank you for sharing yours.

raine said...

So far - sounds like the perfect holiday. did you swim in the lake? So calm.

dilling said...

I didn't want to come home...at all. So sick of looking out at the hookers and drug deals out my window.
Too cold to swim...way up in the mountains here. Two nights later, woke to first frost of the season.
Eeeeek.

Michael Colvin said...

I spent ages looking and looking too. I thought it was going to be a swimming bear or the loch ness monster or something. lol!