Friday, September 21, 2007

Highway 31

Technically, we were heading north, but I didn't think to take a picture of that sign in time...when we finally found another sign, it was South. Highway 31, both north and south, is a Provincial HIGHWAY!!!! I have never encountered a highway like it... This is a highway, folks. A provincial highway. They keep it open all year. I don't know how they do it...it's dirt and gravel. In some places, it is dirt packed over rocks covering an area of where there USED to be a road before a slide....how cool is this highway?
This is a view from the highway.....you know, just taken out the window... wow.

Trout Lake, the town, is on the other end of Trout Lake from where we camped. It is a sweet little town. Nice, nice people. I can't get over how friendly every one was on this trip. Is it the mountain air? The elbow room? What?
We took a little tour through town. Lovely, lovely place. Small year round population and some seasonal cabins. A very pretty place.


We stopped for gas. Yup. Right here, we stopped for gas.






Oh my goodness. How cool is this gas pump on the coolest highway ever? Pretty damn cool. Right?!?





And we stopped for a coffee at the Noboard Cafe. The best soy latte...and the best view a coffee shop could ever have. Again, super friendly service. If you are travelling through, stop and check out their photos on the walls inside...amazing stuff.
And get a latte!






We continued down the road to Nakusp. Next time through, we'll camp at the hotsprings! This time, we stayed in a Provincial campground on the lake...didn't take any pictures that afternoon/evening. I don't know why. I just seemed to forget about the camera for the rest of the day. We had a lovely walk on the beach, though.







And in the morning, we packed up for our last day on the road...one more camp to show you...but enough is enough for today. I have to go put a layer of plaster on the walls, finish the laundry, bake some banana bread, plan a turkey dinner for tomorrow, get the guest room ready and walk the dog... whew. I need a nap.
Talk to you all later, eh?







16 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

WHOA!!!!!

For real, that was the gas station? coooooool!

That's a heck of a highway!

dilling said...

for real!!!! we didn't even really NEED gas, but we went just to watch it work! so cool.

dilling said...

the greenish pump was from 1914 and the red one from 1923 or 24, I think the kid said...both still fully functional...he said there is a guy who comes to fill up his boat for the lake(75 gallons) and it takes over 45 minutes! Crazy!

emily said...

GET YER ELBOW OUTTA MY MOUNTAIN AIR, HOSEHEAD!

dilling said...

eh?

Victoria said...

dude.

FOUR DINNERS said...

I am becoming manically depressed. This is due to you. You keep showing pics of beautiful places - not to mention cool gas stations - while I languish here in Hayes Town, England - better known locally as The Gateway to Hell.

Why is there money in the pump?

raine said...

I would have loved to have had a latte at that little coffee "shop". I'm thinkin you just might be a mountain girl. Only real mountain girls can enjoy a nasty gravel road like that, gorgeous view or no gorgeous view!Awesome photos!!

raine said...

mountain air, hosehead, elbow room, hee hee.

katy said...

magical absolutely magical, ps you getting the guest room ready for me? cause me and mr milo want to come camping with you

dilling said...

4d, that's not money...unless you are counting that gas as money, it is pricey these days, isn't it? I think those are inspection badges...but I could be completely wrong, too...

dilling said...

her indoors...a camping guest room...hmm, might that be a tent? or you want us to get a second van?

raine said...

Hey - I was just up coombs way and saw one of those gas pumps.. past the Coombs market at something called Karma something? I wasn't driving and just saw them out of the corner of my eye and hollered out - "hey! those are the pumps like in dillings blog" - I would have said "stop!" and gotten more info but we were already late and I was worried about divorce...or something.

katy said...

no no i need to be in that camper

Michael Colvin said...

Beautiful pics again. You had a really great trip from what I can see. I am getting all nostalgic now for my time in the mountains.

Biddie said...

I wish that we had a camper and were heading out on a camping trip...I hate camping, but you make it look like so much fun.
The photos are breathtaking, and I LOVE the gas pumps. I thought that it looked like money in there, too.