Monday, October 06, 2008

Is it just me

or is time really suddenly moving so fast that I can't keep up? The days are shorter, it's dark when I get up now...dark early, too. I shouldn't be so suprised by it, but I am. I think summer was here just last week, wasn't it? This week will be a madhouse so I thought I would make a little time here to check in...write something here, actually comment on some of your pages. I miss everybody. We need to have a little get together or something, eh? Oh...maybe a collective photo challenge or something. Only, just not now...cuz I can't keep up.
Around the hood here, there is new playground equipment in the park, and the new retirement residence has finished blasting and commenced building. Em's old place across the street is getting a huge facelift with new roof, siding, fencing, decks and stairs. It will be so nice to not see the old eyesore when I pull back the curtains. Our very colourful neighbours across the street moved out so we're all holding our breath to see who the landlord puts in next. Fingers crossed.
Thanksgiving is coming and I hear that we'll be pretty busy at work this week, so I am savouring having today off. Finishing up packing for my trip home, buying gifts for all the birthdays I have missed, etc. We leave on the first ferry out on Sunday, after a bit of a scramble to find a house/kitty sitter. It's been a long time since I was home. I am kind of nervous about it. Weird, eh?
It'll be good, though. Good to see my family and friends. Good to see Mount Rainier in the distance, good to walk Capitol Lake, good to be home for a bit. Good not to see Victoria Road for a bit.
Did I mention that I have been running? After the running clinic wrapped up a few months ago, I kept running...so finally, I think I am beginning to see the results...took long enough. Sheesh. Encouraged by that. I joined a gym today...it's right on my way to work. Like right there. Met with a trainer today to set my goals, measure up(ugh) and see what I have to do to get where I want...and I have to say, I was suprised to learn that I am really already pretty close. I must have a completely warped idea of what I look like. Which also suprised me...I thought I wasn't the "type." Aside from the idea that I want to look "HOT" in my 40's, really I just want to feel strong again...cuz I remember liking that feeling. A lot.
Oh, and? Michael ordered me the Dexter books...can't wait. They will be waiting for me when we get to Washington. And? We are quite possibly buying the cutest car ever while we're down there....my little van can't be imported so we have to sell it while we're down there...and hopefully buy something else. I'd show you, but then one of you might run out and buy it out from under us....not that I don't trust each and every one of you. I'm gonna miss my van, though. I love her.
And? Practicing lessons from U-Dog, I took Eem-er out "off-leash," just her and I yesterday. Faced my own fear about it, and dropped her dragline on the ground...and we both did pretty well, I think. It was way better than I anticipated. We're going out again today while the chicken stock cooks...
Chicken stock...it's soup weather again. Sigh.
Anyhoo, that's enough rambling, isn't it?

13 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

Yup, the days are just whizzing by again. A get together sounds cool. Have fun on your trip!

Olly said...

Oh yeah...the days are just sailing past.

Things sound good for you. Busy working, some positive neighbourhood changes, Eem-er, and getting in shape! Really happy for you!

Enjoy your trip home - don't worry - I think everyone stresses a bit about quality time with the relatives, lol. Can't wait to see a pic of your new car.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Oly. My husband's hometown. And here's another cooincidence for you—he's a retired hydroplane racer and yes, he's raced on Capitol Lake...

lexiloo said...

i was in oly last weekend, we had fun visiting with our friend, hiking on rainer and drinking at the 'tale. hope you have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

oh those long dark days are really creeping in now. Have a great trip, lots of fun, looking forward to seeing the new car when you return x

Heidi Yantzi said...

I love your ramblings.

I"m tired all the time and I'm blaming the DARK!

punxxi said...

come to oregon to buy your car....no sales tax!

Gardenia said...

I'm having problems with not enough time too. Why is time zinging by so fast anymore?

I keep watching The Dog Whisperer - and trying things on my mother's dogs - the Sharpei just got meaner, but the Whippet started doing her things she was trained to do before I asked her to!

That is much funner than cats!

Lily said...

Enjoy your trip!

Perhaps one day we'll meet and I can offer some help with the cat sitting and house keeping safe.... I don't live all that far away.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, my husband has a job interview coming up very soon in Nanaimo. We live in DC and I would appreciate your advice, opinions, etc. In spite of the issues I've read about in your blog (and elsewhere) should he get the job we are very interested in living in the Old City Quarter. I will post my email here (sorry if I missed your contact link, I looked all over but no luck) and would appreciate any insight-- dmayberry "at" dccentralkitchen.org. Thanks in advance! Debra

Biddie said...

I have missed you so much, I don't mind the rambling at all.
I could never let Ruby off leash. I am convinced that my dog is untrainable. Or, maybe I am.
The days are getting shorter and I am counting the days until I can finally put my village back up. That is the best part of the winter for me. The rest of it I can live without :)

Biddie said...

Oh, I nearly forgot. Have a great trip!

Victoria said...

Good for you with the running!

And let me know how the Dexter books are :)